I have a press brake that currently has a estan NC controller. The Y axis cylinder strokes are controlled by a screw on top that moves a internal hard stop. That mechanism is worn out. Also someone has been in the control cabinet and things are a mess. So what I would like to do make a very simple basic/dumb controller for both the Y axis and X axis.

On the X axis back gauge I planned to simply use a stepper motor with a home switch. I'd home the back gauge, then be able to enter a dimension and it move to it.

On the Y axis I figured I could use a linear scale with a home switch. Once the scale is homed, I could enter a dimension and when it reached the dimension it would remove the signal going to the hydraulic control valve ad stop the movement.

Two additional functions I'd like to have on the Y axis, but may over complicate it is the valving on the machine is able to slow the approach speed when the punch gets close to bending. Not sure what the simplest method would be for this? A additional dimension input? A simple mechanical switch that is adjust able depending the punch/die? The other function would be a adjustable delay in deactivating the hydraulics once the punch reaches the desired dimension, so to combat spring back in the material.

Thanks in advance for any input or help.