584,858 active members*
4,307 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > C-Axis Orientation / Lock

C-Axis Orientation / Lock

I have OSP700L, OSP7000L, OSP U10L and OSP U100L. A new job I'm putting in does not use the draw bar for clamping. The fixture has strap clamps to hold the part. I'm looking for a way to orient the spindle and lock it in place for load. The M19 does not work on them for orientation. I think I could use a threading cycle at the end of the program to get the orientation. But I still need a way to lock it to tighten the clamps. I could use any of the above machines to run it. So it it possible on any of them? If so how?

Edit:
    None of these machines have live tooling.
    "Teach the ignorant, care for the dumb, punish the stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    I have OSP700L, OSP7000L, OSP U10L and OSP U100L. A new job I'm putting in does not use the draw bar for clamping. The fixture has strap clamps to hold the part. I'm looking for a way to orient the spindle and lock it in place for load. The M19 does not work on them for orientation. I think I could use a threading cycle at the end of the program to get the orientation. But I still need a way to lock it to tighten the clamps. I could use any of the above machines to run it. So it it possible on any of them? If so how?
    Usually the chuck has two functions, internal and external jaw clamping. To reverse the function there is usually a hand valve to reverse the chuck function. However, M10 is always clamp and M11 unclamp in both modes. Perhaps you can use the opposite function and C axis?

Re: C-Axis Orientation / Lock

Attachment 488066Attachment 488068

Pics added. Just need to lock the spindle so it doesn't move while clamping the part.

Attachment 488066Attachment 488068

Pics added. Just need to lock the spindle so it doesn't move while clamping the part.
    Can you select C axis in jog handwheel mode, dial the spindle desired lock pin position and note the position (ie 100°) ?

Then in program

G01 C100 F1000
    M19 or M01 to open the door ?

Thanks for trying to help. According to Okuma's applications department. In order to get both orientation and servo lock of the spindle you need to have the Spindle Orientation option turned on.

Thanks for trying to help. According to Okuma's applications department. In order to get both orientation and servo lock of the spindle you need to have the Spindle Orientation option turned on.
    Errmm.. I took that as done :-)

Edit:
    None of these machines have live tooling.
    The last line says it all .... you needed some axis control on the spindle motor, and a spindle clamp/braking method

Not having live tooling means that C-axis control is not required on the machine. They are just 2 axis (XZ) lathes.
    M19 is a type of axis control not required on a 2 axis machine.

A threading cycle is just a timing signal of when to engage a feedrate at a set RPM, finishing the cycle ends any timing algorithm.

I think the only way is to turn on the spindle orientation function and use the M19. It is software only and requires no hardware.

Maybe Kurmay can grant your wish?

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.