585,715 active members*
3,800 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Please help Me with Allen Bradley 8400

Please help Me with Allen Bradley 8400

I purchased a an Acra GS30N milling machine that is in really great shape. This thing is a tank but it came with an Allen Bradly 8400 aka Bandit. When I went to power it up a the power supply was doing this slow powering up and powering down pulsing and eventually a couple of the caps popped. Looking around people were wanting insane amounts for a used replacement factory power supply or even to repair my existing power supply. I was getting 1400-1800 to repair and 2200-2800 for used replacement. I said screw that and bought a very nice and highly recommended Autec that has all the required voltages that is +5 volts -/+ 15volts and 24 volts. I made all the connections but one and that is the power failure detection. The Autec has an output for power failure but I have few questions. Should the clam shell computer and the controller/monitor power up even without that connection? Because it is not powering up. Second does anyone know what that voltage should be? Looking at the factory power supply it looks like it should be 5 Volts and if so is it positive or negative voltage and is it AC/DC? I have look all over including the installation instruction manual and it does not say anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbadbubba01 View Post
    I purchased a an Acra GS30N milling machine that is in really great shape. This thing is a tank but it came with an Allen Bradly 8400 aka Bandit. When I went to power it up a the power supply was doing this slow powering up and powering down pulsing and eventually a couple of the caps popped. Looking around people were wanting insane amounts for a used replacement factory power supply or even to repair my existing power supply. I was getting 1400-1800 to repair and 2200-2800 for used replacement. I said screw that and bought a very nice and highly recommended Autec that has all the required voltages that is +5 volts -/+ 15volts and 24 volts. I made all the connections but one and that is the power failure detection. The Autec has an output for power failure but I have few questions. Should the clam shell computer and the controller/monitor power up even without that connection? Because it is not powering up. Second does anyone know what that voltage should be? Looking at the factory power supply it looks like it should be 5 Volts and if so is it positive or negative voltage and is it AC/DC? I have look all over including the installation instruction manual and it does not say anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Power supplies often need a load to power on, if the power fail signal is just a switched output for the control it might not need connecting.

Have you a diagram or type you can post ?