584,850 active members*
4,426 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Auto Tool Changer > Direct drive ? Geneva mechaniusm or belt drive tool carousel ?

Direct drive ? Geneva mechaniusm or belt drive tool carousel ?

I am about to build a 10 tool carousel for my benchtop mill . I see lots of belt drive with or without a geneva mechanism .

I am wondering what is the advantage of the mechanism over just a direct drive mechanism with the drive being a axis so it can position in the right angle for each tool ?

Is the belt drive just a packaging consideration ?

Re: Direct drive ? Geneva mechaniusm or belt drive tool carousel ?

The geneva mechanism just simplifies the controls a bit, and does not require an axis to make it work. Other than that, they are slow and must index one tool at a time, where a stepper or servo system can freely move between any tool stations.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Thats what I thought ,I have spare axis available and it seems like there would be less "slop" in the system with a direct drive stepper over a belt or geneva mechanism . I also think you could more accurately control the positioning of the tool via a angular position in the tool change macro and speed up the operation .

So I am thinking I needs a rotational axis , a input to verify the changer is in the engaged position , a input to verify the tool changer has retracted and a homing input for the tool changer axis.
    Direct drive the tool changer as compactness is not a issue.

I think you have it.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Berrigan View Post
    I am about to build a 10 tool carousel for my benchtop mill . I see lots of belt drive with or without a geneva mechanism .

I am wondering what is the advantage of the mechanism over just a direct drive mechanism with the drive being a axis so it can position in the right angle for each tool ?

Geneva mechanism is much simpler and only rotates one direction, but for up to 16 tools, it is probably ok if you spread the tools out around the magazine and have fixed tool pocket numbers. Servo or motor controls are much more complex to interface but are faster, can be made bi directional magazine rotation, and may allow randomised tool location depending on the controller.

Personally I would buy an off the shelf Geneva type for simplicity and reliability.

Quote Originally Posted by Berrigan View Post

There are some to look at here that others have built here is one just do a search https://www.cnczone.com/forums/auto-...cnc-posts.html

Here is a Haas one also for reference https://www.haascnc.com/service/onli...l-changer.html
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by servtech View Post
    Geneva mechanism is much simpler and only rotates one direction, but for up to 16 tools, it is probably ok if you spread the tools out around the magazine and have fixed tool pocket numbers. Servo or motor controls are much more complex to interface but are faster, can be made bi directional magazine rotation, and may allow randomised tool location depending on the controller.

Personally I would buy an off the shelf Geneva type for simplicity and reliability.
    Geneva mechanism used for Tool changers normally rotate in both directions.
    Mactec54