585,948 active members*
3,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

retrofitting CNC lathe

I am repairing cnc press brakes, shearing machines and turret punch press. I retrofit Press brakes.I have not retrofitted any lathe.I want to retrofit my lathe.I want to know from where can I get a list of controller suppliers for CNC lathe.Is there any source from where I can get technical information of controller and study it? Which are the best models from Fanuc and Siemens for lathes?
    THANKS.
    Prash.
    [email protected]

My personal favourites are Mitsubishi and Fagor, Fagor is the easier if you want to re-use the servo motor and/or drives.
    What have you used for the first machines you mention, I use a Galil card with a simple HMI program for the simpler machines, I am working on adapting the program for Lathes etc, but it is in the early stages yet.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

technical info of Mitsubishi/Fagor

THANKS. Can you tell me from where can I get technical information of these controllers?I have to use new motors and drives.I want to use proven and simpler controls because this is my first experience for lathe.Can you tell me what other things I need to know?The machines on which I work, use two
    AC -Servo axes and two hydraulic axes.In lathe I will need two servo and something for spindle.I have to study a lot. Please send me some links if you can.
    Prash.
    [email protected]

It may be worth checking to see if there any CNC system suppliers located in India, this makes for easier support etc.
    Although it depends to some extent on your previous experience, (you appear to have had some in the retro-fit field).
    There is email support from practically all suppliers, ones like mitsubishi offer (or used to) free Ladder programming software and courses.
    Send out a few email 'feelers' to MEAU (mitsubishi) and Fagor etc, most of them, with the exception of Fanuc, have the manuals on line.
    An example with Mitsubishi, you give them details of the present system, existing motor sizes etc, they will supply a complete system, the requirement from you, apart from physically wiring into the machine, is to write the Machine control (ladder) and integrate the motors, i.e. scale the encoders and tune the motors, I have found Mitsubishi one of the easier ones, as they have basic parameters for the given motor size, They also use very close/similar format as Fanuc and others in the implementation of M,S & T codes as written into the ladder.
    If you have present axis in place that use +- analogue input, you may be able to use the existing motors/drives.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

converting non-CNC lathe in to CNC

There are so many suppliers in India;I have to define for which I have to go.And I don't know which are good for me.I have good experience in press breaks.Also I have 25 years of experience of electronic repairing(drives, linear scales, controllers etc.)This is the 1st time in lathe.From your reply it seems that I should check on the sites of Mitsubishi and Fagor.THANKS A LOT.
    Prash.