584,837 active members*
5,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Z Reference Issue

Greetings,

I have a 4x8 flat bed machine with a rack of HSK63 tool holders under the bridge that extends toward the spindle during tool change. The controller is an LNC 2200 (Taiwan). During maintenance I crashed the spindle into the extended tool rack, misaligning both. After realigning the spindle tram, all my Z stuff is messed up because I didn't get the spindle mounting plate back were it was regarding Z (there was about 8" gib-way with no index).

My first indication was when I did the first tool change, the spindle did not lift high enough to clear the tool holder and scraped it out of the fork. Now that I think about, it there may be more systems that are affected by this. Should I try to reattach the spindle (two hours of work) with the plate the right height on the spindle (how could I ever get it right?), or just somehow tell the machine this is now where the spindle is located in Z. Hopefully the later is the case. So, can this be done and where to do it? Is that part of the home routine, that's probably not editable by a user? Maybe the tool change is the only issue and there's just a setting for Z lift during tool change. If so, I couldn't find it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Heirloomwindows View Post
    Greetings,

I have a 4x8 flat bed machine with a rack of HSK63 tool holders under the bridge that extends toward the spindle during tool change. The controller is an LNC 2200 (Taiwan). During maintenance I crashed the spindle into the extended tool rack, misaligning both. After realigning the spindle tram, all my Z stuff is messed up because I didn't get the spindle mounting plate back were it was regarding Z (there was about 8" gib-way with no index).

My first indication was when I did the first tool change, the spindle did not lift high enough to clear the tool holder and scraped it out of the fork. Now that I think about, it there may be more systems that are affected by this. Should I try to reattach the spindle (two hours of work) with the plate the right height on the spindle (how could I ever get it right?), or just somehow tell the machine this is now where the spindle is located in Z. Hopefully the later is the case. So, can this be done and where to do it? Is that part of the home routine, that's probably not editable by a user? Maybe the tool change is the only issue and there's just a setting for Z lift during tool change. If so, I couldn't find it.

Thanks
    I think you need to borrow a large granite square to measure squareness of rails in two planes not just trammel. When square, reset reference points and positions for toolchanging in the parameters.

Re: Z Reference Issue

Thanks, The problem is I can't find those settings.