584,871 active members*
5,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G Code Generation

Folk,

I have been a lurker to this forum for a while now and have found the information invaluable.

I am in the final stages of conversion of my drill/mill to CNC. 3rd axis stepper will be fitted this weekend if all goes well.

I have some CAM software to run g-code, but I am looking for some sort of simple g-code generator to do simple things such as mill a slot or pocket.

I have solidedge and can export a 3d model, but this is overkill for a simple job (read I am hoplessly slow with this s/w).

Is there an easy way to do this or am I just going to have to learn g-code programming and do it manually ?

Rob
    Sydney, Australia

Check out Ace converter download here http://www.yeagerautomation.com/ace.htm

.DXF to gcode

Have fun!

Conversational Programming

Check our KipwareM at www.kentechinc.com.

Hello,
    I'm not sure what control software you are using. You will be so much better off if you learn to program manually. Even with CAM software, you will need to hand edit some programs to get it to do what YOU want.

Get a CNC programming book, most of the codes, concepts and usages will be the same, there might be a few specific to your control.

Learn what codes you need and don't need, and when. Streamline your programs and write them in a spaced out, easy to read style, with comments even. After you get a style, you should be able to customize the post processor for your CAM software to spit out code like you like to see it.