585,930 active members*
3,918 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New User, completly satified

I purchased the Standard Alibre about two weeks ago, I've never "Drawn" anything let alone 3D modeling. All the ideas in my head have been on hold trying to find someone to partner with. Well that need has gone out the window.

Alibre has been easy to use and understand. V10 with the error checking has already paid for itself by offsetting the cost of asprin. Did I mention easy to use and understand? Well if I didn't, it is. The only issue that has popped up is Planes set at different angles. ex two ZY axis at 45º from each other. They mentioned it in one of the CD I have but didn't explain how to do it (helps to watch them in order).

I friend of mine at work is third year ME student and I told him about the Contest ALibre has, I also showed him the free download. He is more familiar with SW, but is quit impressed with Alibre, he has helped a couple of times where I couldn't figure out how to do something. We should have our entry completed in time.

I'm just so please with this purchase.

Now if anyone care to tell me how to even start the thing in the photo, I'd be much in their debt.

Well the Kodak Digital Camera format is messing things up I'll have to find the workaround and get it posted

Smitty

Angled planes can be made by selecting a plane to reference from and an axis or part edge to be the pivot point. When selected the 'insert plane' window will change to allow angled input.

Now what about pictures/photos?

Here's one of the parts that Is Killing me

I had to wait and change Cameras. This thing is killing me, it's the backside of an X-BOX 360 Controller. Compound curves, no flats side, Bowed faces, etc.

I havn't got the think in 3D mode so drawing in 3D isn't going to be easy. I started with a Rectangle block and cut away at it in a couple different way. UGLY and Time consuming. Plus the Part is Bowed out.

It would be nice if I could draw it in 2D get it close and than just PULL the lines to fine tune the shape, and than PULL the face to put the BOW in it. I don't know, I'm sure it's something easy that I just havn't done yet.

If your wondering why a video game controller, well I started a Charity (www.gamers-care.org) that does video game tournaments to raise money for Schools, Churches, and other charities, and I had a controller laying around that looked challeging.

Bit off more than I could chew, but I've learned a ton.

Smitty
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_4777.jpg   100_4778.jpg   100_4779.jpg   100_4780.jpg  

100_4781.jpg   100_4782.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty911 View Post
    I had to wait and change Cameras. This thing is killing me, it's the backside of an X-BOX 360 Controller. Compound curves, no flats side, Bowed faces, etc.

I havn't got the think in 3D mode so drawing in 3D isn't going to be easy. I started with a Rectangle block and cut away at it in a couple different way. UGLY and Time consuming. Plus the Part is Bowed out.

It would be nice if I could draw it in 2D get it close and than just PULL the lines to fine tune the shape, and than PULL the face to put the BOW in it. I don't know, I'm sure it's something easy that I just havn't done yet.

If your wondering why a video game controller, well I started a Charity (www.gamers-care.org) that does video game tournaments to raise money for Schools, Churches, and other charities, and I had a controller laying around that looked challeging.

Bit off more than I could chew, but I've learned a ton.

Smitty
    Can you give us any specs that would help in a Group Project??

I would like to try to help, but my knowledge of Alibre is still on the learning curve. Tjones is very good with Alibre.

Together maybe we can make some kids happy and learn at the same time.

That is if we all have time.

I'm in!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks

Tobyaxis,

We are modeling the controller for a contest. 1st place is $5,000.00, nice.

When I do unsponsered Tournaments, the proceeds go to support AIDs Orphans in Africa. So my share, if we win, will take care of seven children for a year, or, 25 head of cattle, or one child for seven years, whatever the greatest need is at the time. That could also pay for a doctor or dentist from here to go for two weeks. I've helped www.tumainiinternational.org with child sponsorships, 30 a month changes a life. Our church has doctors and dentist that have gone over for weeks at time to assist and that money sure goes along way.

Hope that doesn't sound to preachy, but THAT is why we are doing the X-Box controller, lots of complex angles, and a good cause.

One of out interns has helped alot and has been working on the shell. While I have been doing the buttons and little things.

I can e-mail you what we have done so far, if you would like.

The items that need to be worked on are:

Bottom half of controller
    Front Bumper Buttons
    Front Bumper Buttons holder
    Rear cover (shown in photos)

Also a great fun way to learn the software

Smitty

Ok,

Now that I know then you have me on board. Send me what you are having difficulty with and I would be more than happy to get fixed. Also let me see pdf files of what you have done as well.

I can use my son's 360 for any dimesions left out. PM me and I will give you my email.

BTW: I got my first full version in the first Xpress contest!:wave:

one way to look at this shape is to see that it is semetrical about the center. Look at the picture with the calipers, the half way point on the calipers is the center. Left of the center is the mirror ot the right side. In Mastercam all you hvae to do is model the right side and use the mirror function and Mastercam will create the left side. Now your work is cut by two.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    BTW: I got my first full version in the first Xpress contest!:wave:
    CONGRATS Tjones!!!!!!!!!!!:rainfro:

Good to hear that your winning

Now, how can I help being limited in Alibre Design Solid Modeling. I'd like to help, that is, after a quick drawing that is do soon.

Tjones You have a PM
    Cheers!!!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Toby,

The version you are using is not as limitied as you think. Most of these parts can be done in it. You have what it takes but advanced 3D modeling can be harder to get started. Have you tried the tutorial on that part?

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Toby,

The version you are using is not as limitied as you think. Most of these parts can be done in it. You have what it takes but advanced 3D modeling can be harder to get started. Have you tried the tutorial on that part?
    Tutorials??? Not yet buddy. Right now Alibre is working hard on a different project all together. I will need the Parametric Ability for this LOL.

I'll try to help with the files that Smitty911 sent today.

Cheers!!!
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com