584,800 active members*
4,852 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > Lost steps from breakout. Need to re-align to existing cutouts

Question Lost steps from breakout. Need to re-align to existing cutouts

I used double sided tape to hold down a project, and one of the small cutouts came loose and caused lost steps for all axis. Is there a good way to align the X and Y axis to the partially completed project after homing all axis and resetting the z0?

Using Autodesk Fusion 360 and Mach 4 on a home built 26 x 40 CNC with Bosch 1617EVS router.

Re: Lost steps from breakout. Need to re-align to existing cutouts

Hi,

I used double sided tape to hold down a project, and one of the small cutouts came loose and caused lost steps for all axis. Is there a good way to align the X and Y axis to the partially completed project after homing all axis and resetting the z0?
    No, not really. I make circuit boards with my machine, and I too use double sided tape to hold it down. In addition I drill two 1.5mm diameter holes through the PCB blank
    into the spoil board underneath and install two short 1.5mm pins. I make two sided boards and these pins allow you to flip the board and do the bottom side in perfect alignment.
    These pins also mean that should you lose reference part way through the job that you can use the known location of the pins to reset your machine.

When I may a PCB I always have one pin at (0,-5mm) in X any Y and I can always use the center of that pin to reset my machine if required.

Craig

Re: Lost steps from breakout. Need to re-align to existing cutouts

Quote Originally Posted by holtesm View Post

Using Autodesk Fusion 360 and Mach 4 on a home built 26 x 40 CNC with Bosch 1617EVS router.
    A Laser Edge Finder will get you close to the X0 Y0 start location.

https://lasercenteredgefinder.com/
    Mactec54