584,871 active members*
5,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > HELP!!!! Hardinge CHNC 1 fanuc otb control home problem

HELP!!!! Hardinge CHNC 1 fanuc otb control home problem

machine was operating successfully yesterday. on start up today, i cannot get the machine to home properly. go thru the steps, power up, e-stop reset, jog x-, z-, press home key, then z+, x+, machine only jogs in each axis the time you hold z+, x+. it doesnt auto home, if that makes sense... i have tried restarting it many times with collet open, collet closed, bar feed active, bar feed not active. i have manually moved into overtravel in both directions, restarted repeatedly, checked lubrication levels.... on and on... i bought the lathe brand new in 1986? been using it since, i am not highly technically trained, but i find my way around ok...

Quote Originally Posted by bridgeportmetal View Post
    machine was operating successfully yesterday. on start up today, i cannot get the machine to home properly. go thru the steps, power up, e-stop reset, jog x-, z-, press home key, then z+, x+, machine only jogs in each axis the time you hold z+, x+. it doesnt auto home, if that makes sense... i have tried restarting it many times with collet open, collet closed, bar feed active, bar feed not active. i have manually moved into overtravel in both directions, restarted repeatedly, checked lubrication levels.... on and on... i bought the lathe brand new in 1986? been using it since, i am not highly technically trained, but i find my way around ok...
    Can you manually home each axis ?
    ie. Select jog / ref and use buttons to drive to reference? Try, but be careful not to hit the hard stop.

Re: HELP!!!! Hardinge CHNC 1 fanuc otb control home problem

i think i could, but how will the machine know its "home" and allow me to proceed? i have a call into hardinge tech support, awaiting a return call..

i think i could, but how will the machine know its "home" and allow me to proceed? i have a call into hardinge tech support, awaiting a return call..
    There is something preventing the machine to home.
    Did you check the air oil level?
    Way Lube level?
    Air pressure up to 80 psi?
    Check all breakers and fuses in electric cabinet.
    Reset any contactors with the little blue buttons.
    These chnc's can do some odd things as they age.
    Also, check the memory battery.

The machine will stop when it's at home, it uses the encoder marker pulse plus any zero offset in parameter 1850 (Fanuc).

I agree with the other poster, some background error is preventing auto reference.

Does the control have any messages or errors present ? Flashing red LEDs etc ?

Or one of the axis end or reference switches stuck down when you drove it off previously ?

Re: HELP!!!! Hardinge CHNC 1 fanuc otb control home problem

i did check all lubrication levels. there are no messages besides "home x and x axis" no flashing leds. it was shut down for lunch. nothing out of the ordinary happened... i will check on the memory batteries. and open back cabinet up and check for anything obvious there...

i did check all lubrication levels. there are no messages besides "home x and x axis" no flashing leds. it was shut down for lunch. nothing out of the ordinary happened... i will check on the memory batteries. and open back cabinet up and check for anything obvious there...
    Because reference auto is an automated action, it might need the operator door closed and locked, with a confirmation input.