585,956 active members*
4,506 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Converting My Grizzly Mill To CNC Part 2

Converting My Grizzly Mill To CNC Part 2

Hello again.I have now made the motor mounts for direct drive for my mill.I still have a little more work to do on the one mount.I have painted the other one to match my machine.I designed the motor mounts to take advantage of the original hand screw mounts on my machine.They fit over the handscrew mounts very snugly,and are also made to be a snug fit for the motor.This needed to line up exactly to use the original thrust bearings that came with the machine.They are new because I never used the mill,and the look to be heavy duty enough.I also needed to make a collar to link together the motor and ballscrew.I actually had the y axis running today,and it is very smooth.It takes little effort to turn the screw.I still need to do some final things on it to be finished and go to the x axis.For ballscrews which came from Roton Products Inc.,St. Louis MO.I used 1" by .250 ballscrews,and matching heavy duty ballnuts wich are square.I also purchased the mounting flanges from them and modified them to fit my machine.The ballscrews needed to be machined for my mill.On their website,they tell you to wrap the ballscrew in wet rags to protect what you don't want to get hot,and heat the end to a dull red and let air cool.This worked great,as I was able to machine the end and thread it for my mount.Before heating,a file would not touch it.Roton gives very fast service,and they have a large assortment of ballscrews.Next I will continue with the other mounts,and before too long,I hope to be playing with my new machine.Incase you have not seen Part one,it was placed in the stepper motors and drives section.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1816.JPG   DSCN1817.JPG   DSCN1818.JPG  

hello to all,if you are not finding my posts,just go to the cnc zone search and put in...........Converting my Grizzly Mill to CNC part 1........and they will all come up.I tried it and it works.