585,753 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kitagawa B-12

We recently acquired a large Hitachi that came with this chuch. This lathe has a hydraulic drawtube and a coupler to hook up to this chuch. I really don't know a whole lot about it and would appreciate any information.

Thank you,

J
    Star SR20RII/Fanuc 18i, DMG CTX310V4/Fanuc 32i, DMG CTX310ECO/Siemens 8400, Mori NV5000/MAPS, Bridgeport 760/Fanuc 18i, Kiamaster 4NEII60/Fanuc 3t;Partmaker, Gibbscam

There's sometimes a large T-handled tool that has an OD at the other end with two keys/tabs 180 degrees from each other. This tool you use to mount the chuck. The adapter threads all the way on the drawtube, then the chuck threads onto the adapter.
    If no T-handle tool, have someone manually spin the spindle from behind and you work the chuck onto the threads of the adaptor.
    We'll discuss setting the stroke once you have the chuck threaded most of the way onto the adapter/drawtube.

I can see what you are saying about setting the stroke. As the machine sits, the chuck is on, but it looks to be full of chips between the plate with threads and the face plate. So I will remove it and clean out the chips. Do tell about setting the stroke.

much appreciated,

J
    Star SR20RII/Fanuc 18i, DMG CTX310V4/Fanuc 32i, DMG CTX310ECO/Siemens 8400, Mori NV5000/MAPS, Bridgeport 760/Fanuc 18i, Kiamaster 4NEII60/Fanuc 3t;Partmaker, Gibbscam

I do this checking with no bolts installed and hydraulic pressure adjusted for less pressure.
    With the chuck threaded on properly, you should be able to send the drawtube back (chuck close) and the chuck should still have some clearance between the spindle face and the back of the chuck. You can tug on the chuck and see if it pulls away from spindle face any amount. With the drawtube forward (chuck open) the chuck should still be able to seat against the face of the spindle, you'll probably have to manually push on the chuck to get it to slide back and seat.
    If you can't make one or the other checks happen, you need to thread the chuck on farther/lesser depending on which check failed.