584,861 active members*
5,016 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Spindle Lock for Belt Driven X2

Spindle Lock for Belt Driven X2

In preparation for my CNC conversion, I installed the LMS belt drive kit. I'd read it was a 20 minute job, but mine was more like 2 hours. The threads on the spindle were mangled, as though someone had turned the spindle nut without loosening the set screw. Anyway, I spent some time dressing those threads and then I decided to remove the transmission gears, as well. I figured they could still cause problems (not to mention noise) as long as they were in there. I guess 2 hours isn't bad, considering the extra work I did.

Anyway, the last thing I wanted to do was to take it back apart to drill holes for a spindle lock, so I came up with one that uses the holes in the support block of the Z-axis micro feed.

I used a scrap of 3/16" aluminum for the support and turned down a 3/8" bolt for the lock pin. With a spring on one side and a locking collar on the other, it's smooth as silk. It isn't elegant, but it's simple and effective.

Parts for the CNC conversion (Hoss clone) started arriving today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpindleLock1.JPG   SpindleLock2.JPG   SpindleLock3.JPG  

[QUOTE=dleroi;

Parts for the CNC conversion (Hoss clone) started arriving today![/QUOTE]

Is someone selling kits from hoss's plans? Do tell, I know he won't sell complete kits. could save me a lot of trouble.
    charlie

Quote Originally Posted by cota View Post
    Is someone selling kits from hoss's plans? Do tell, I know he won't sell complete kits. could save me a lot of trouble.
    charlie
    Charlie,

Not to my knowledge. But, Hoss sure makes it easy to order the raw materials - what with vendors' part numbers and all.

It would be really nice just to get the pieces that need the 15/16-16 tapped threads.

I've read where Hoss has machined the harder stuff for other people, though. I wouldn't hurt to ask him.

Hoss?

- Don

if there is enough demand i can whip up the parts you guys need, i already have the 15/16 x 16 tap. with hoss permission of course.

Jerry

Hi there dleroi,
    My question for you is ----With the LMS kit fitted and the Hoss clone gear fitted is there a problem with clearance between the side of the motor and the z axis ballscrew mount plate? Probably not but I like to check on such things ahead of time to reduce the quantity and magnitude of my modification errors.

It may be close on the motor to z axis mount. I have his design belt drive and have about .125" clearance. You could increase the clearance by removing the rack for the z course feed wheel and moving the electronic box off of the back then you could mount the brackets a little farther back. Hoss is selling material kits now with and without the fasteners needed on his site. I think its like $85 for the raw stock and fasteners but dont quote me on that just check the site.

Quote Originally Posted by menzies99 View Post
    Hi there dleroi,
    My question for you is ----With the LMS kit fitted and the Hoss clone gear fitted is there a problem with clearance between the side of the motor and the z axis ballscrew mount plate? Probably not but I like to check on such things ahead of time to reduce the quantity and magnitude of my modification errors.
    I forgot to post this pic on the other thread that shows the clearance
    between the motor and bracket.
    Like Max said the bracket could be mounted farther back on the column if you remove the Z axis rack.
    Hoss
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails belt conversion motor clearance_1024x768.jpg  
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Quote Originally Posted by menzies99 View Post
    Hi there dleroi,
    Menzies,

What they said! Sorry I didn't notice your post sooner.

- Don