585,930 active members*
5,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Spindle Lock for Belt Driven X2

Threaded View

Spindle Lock for Belt Driven X2

In preparation for my CNC conversion, I installed the LMS belt drive kit. I'd read it was a 20 minute job, but mine was more like 2 hours. The threads on the spindle were mangled, as though someone had turned the spindle nut without loosening the set screw. Anyway, I spent some time dressing those threads and then I decided to remove the transmission gears, as well. I figured they could still cause problems (not to mention noise) as long as they were in there. I guess 2 hours isn't bad, considering the extra work I did.

Anyway, the last thing I wanted to do was to take it back apart to drill holes for a spindle lock, so I came up with one that uses the holes in the support block of the Z-axis micro feed.

I used a scrap of 3/16" aluminum for the support and turned down a 3/8" bolt for the lock pin. With a spring on one side and a locking collar on the other, it's smooth as silk. It isn't elegant, but it's simple and effective.

Parts for the CNC conversion (Hoss clone) started arriving today!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SpindleLock1.JPG   SpindleLock2.JPG   SpindleLock3.JPG