584,826 active members*
5,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: F18 Hornet

F18 Hornet

Have started New Project F18 Hornet all parts cut with a cnc that i built with the help of the cnc zon and hobycnc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1637-1.jpg   DSCN1629-1.jpg   DSCN1634-1.jpg  

Oh very nice!

Sweet! Keep them photos comin

Russell.

Ditto on keeping up on the pics.

EDIT:
    Only larger pics

One nice project dpot !

F18 light ply balsa for EDF

I plan to keep the cost down as much as i can so plan to go for the Haoye 4.5" ducted fan unit it come in at $25 and the brushless inrunner KB45-17XL:5158 700Kv 36V is $53. I am go wing for 2 18.5v lipo packs that i use for my other models 2300mah 5s 20-30c $100 will need to go to 2 of the 5s 4500mah 30-50c $500 and play with the motor to give the best performance depending on the setup for power and finish of the model the wight should come in at 10 to 11 lbs

go wing to cut and fit wing to day
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EDF4withlipo.JPG   EDF4withlipo4pack.JPG  

F18 Hornet wing fin tail

have fit ed wing fin and tail reedy to fit the ducting looking for litho plate use by printers it is light and smooth
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1648.jpg   DSCN1650.jpg   DSCN1645.jpg  

ducting and canape fitted

i have fitted ducting and canape working on hatches a bit fiddly now i can find the position for the radio to set the center of balance and it has work out just right will start to fit the servos and push rods just using flaps ailerons and elevator + motor then ready for balsa sheet covering
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1678.jpg   DSCN1683.jpg   DSCN1693.jpg   DSCN1686.jpg  

EDF4withlipo4pack.jpg   DSCN1691.jpg  

dpot, any idea what the thrust from that fan will be? I've got a couple sets of plans for various older designs which flew poorly due to the fans of the day [back then].. I've always been keeping a eye out for newer stuff which would deliver what these need..

curious..

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFlyGuy View Post
    dpot, any idea what the thrust from that fan will be? I've got a couple sets of plans for various older designs which flew poorly due to the fans of the day [back then].. I've always been keeping a eye out for newer stuff which would deliver what these need..

curious..

Jerry
    Hi Jerry I think it is still the same no the power front for fans to much wight to power so as light as you can make it not all up on the sparky stuff but should get 4.5Kg it seams the 4.5" 5 " are under powered by the motors available at the moment there is sum good reading on the fan i plan to use at http://www.rcgroups.com/electric-duc...n-jet-talk-12/

I have a building thread for the F18 and panther

Quote Originally Posted by dpot View Post
    i have fitted ducting and canape working on hatches a bit fiddly now i can find the position for the radio to set the center of balance and it has work out just right will start to fit the servos and push rods just using flaps ailerons and elevator + motor then ready for balsa sheet covering
    Wow, Thats looking awsome.
    Robbie

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I was just wondering, are there any updates on the hornet?
    Robbie

F18 Hornet

the hornet is still in progress trying to get as much power out of the fan as possible got it up to 4.5kg and fry ed a lipo so waiting for replacements with new balancer and charger not knowing much on the electric side so it is a big learning curve but have started a slightly bigger one to fit the OS 91 ramtect fan witch should give me 5kg then i can check out the model with the plenty of power then compare it to the EDF

DWF drawing for F18 all builders welcome to join in the zip file has full size plan and can be view in a free ACAD DWF I will post parts in the same format and can be printed off

starting the new build on the 3/1/2008

link to acad dwf viewer software

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=8678872
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 years late, but thanks all the same for posting your cad file!

Any finished pics or video??

Ernie

Had forgotten all about this project, hope he was able to finish, a major task that I'd never have gotten finished.

Now that is nice!! Awesome work!

tauseef
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

fineshed f18

kitsewaviation.com/forum
    the edf was under power with the hobbyking fan but with the ramteck OS91 it ok
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2334.jpg   db_DSCN18512.jpg   m_DSCN2341.jpg  

Re: F18 Hornet wing fin tail

dpot,

I've just "re-started" a Phillip Avond's 1:10 scale F-14. I had built the fuselage framing but then saw it was "warped". The jig was not straight and I didn't catch it.

Your F-18 looks spot-on and I hope my F-14 turns out 1/2 as well.

Have you thought about landing gear yet?

GREAT WORK!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat104 View Post
    dpot,

I've just "re-started" a Phillip Avond's 1:10 scale F-14. I had built the fuselage framing but then saw it was "warped". The jig was not straight and I didn't catch it.

Your F-18 looks spot-on and I hope my F-14 turns out 1/2 as well.

Have you thought about landing gear yet?

GREAT WORK!
    yes it has air retracts but have not flown it for a long time and have a new way of building now in foam you can get the curves and it is a lot lighter

Hi dpot, im new in rhinoceros....are you have a step-by-step video how you make f18 design like your post? because I also make a fighter jet like SU 37, but I have trouble especially when drawing bulckhead out...thank you very much if you want to share with me