585,663 active members*
3,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Need advice to dustproof my ball nut..

Need advice to dustproof my ball nut..

hi all .,

I have THK BNT2010+2.6ZZ ball screws mounted on my cnc as im upgrading. Now i come to realise that there is only a brush seal on my ball nuts and when i filled them with grease i realise that it leaves a bit behind on the screw.

Now this is basicly no go for me right now as i do 99 percent wood and about 40 of that is mdf.. so alot of dust and woodchips that will be able to find its way into my nuts.

Now i have a crazy idea but i dont know if it will work..

I was thinking i get some mold silicone , find a 30mm pipe. place pipe around my ball screw and pour silicone in to make a silicone bushing that i can then thread on each side of my ballnut and hold in place with a bracket that goes over the ballnut and holds the pipes together.. so that basicly when ever the ballnut moves the silicone pushes away any dust on the ballscrew each side ???

Do you guys think that would work ?

Problem is that i have very limited space around my ballscrews and thus making normal protection almost impossible i think.

I have looked at spiral and telescopic protectors but cant find any that would be able to meet the dimensions of my machine as i have just barely 30 diameter on the x axis around the ballscrew and when in outer position there would be only 70mm length for a spiral minimal lenght and the maximum length would need to be 1300mm.. which needs OD of 110 as far as i have seen.

Any advice i would be very greatful

Re: Need advice to dustproof my ball nut..

Quote Originally Posted by Kristjan1505 View Post
    hi all .,

I have THK BNT2010+2.6ZZ ball screws mounted on my cnc as im upgrading. Now i come to realise that there is only a brush seal on my ball nuts and when i filled them with grease i realise that it leaves a bit behind on the screw.

Now this is basicly no go for me right now as i do 99 percent wood and about 40 of that is mdf.. so alot of dust and woodchips that will be able to find its way into my nuts.

Now i have a crazy idea but i dont know if it will work..

I was thinking i get some mold silicone , find a 30mm pipe. place pipe around my ball screw and pour silicone in to make a silicone bushing that i can then thread on each side of my ballnut and hold in place with a bracket that goes over the ballnut and holds the pipes together.. so that basicly when ever the ballnut moves the silicone pushes away any dust on the ballscrew each side ???

Do you guys think that would work ?

Problem is that i have very limited space around my ballscrews and thus making normal protection almost impossible i think.

I have looked at spiral and telescopic protectors but cant find any that would be able to meet the dimensions of my machine as i have just barely 30 diameter on the x axis around the ballscrew and when in outer position there would be only 70mm length for a spiral minimal lenght and the maximum length would need to be 1300mm.. which needs OD of 110 as far as i have seen.

Any advice i would be very greatful
    You could make a Nylon wiper that fits the Ballscrew, use less Grease and spry with dry silicone lube, good Dust extraction will catch most of the dust which sounds like what you need to focus on as well.
    Mactec54