584,812 active members*
5,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > OSP-P300S-H G41/G42 compensation for milling tools

Hybrid View

OSP-P300S-H G41/G42 compensation for milling tools

Hi

I am using an Okuma Multus U3000 with OSP-P300S-H ( 2018 year) and I was trying to understand how to program the milling cutter compensation. (G41/G42)

I use a CAM and I always program the centerline of the tools , so start value is zero.

When the tool is resharpened , so, for a 10 mm milling tool the diameter is less than 10 mm (let's say for example 9,8 mm) , the R value set is positive. And no problem in such scenario.

It can happen we need the final measure of the worked piece should be bigger than what is programmed, so , in this case , the R value should be negative.

But it looks like, when setting a value on the R tab, it accepts the positive values only, not negative.
    In this case I have to switch G41 with G42 and viceversa in order to have the work done

Is there anyone who knows how to make the OSP accept negative values in the R setting?

Thank You

Re: OSP-P300S-H G41/G42 compensation for milling tools

Let me explain a simple philosophy of Okuma.
    Okuma enables to update the compensation ( offset and radius ) exactly as it is the real world. So, if measurement indicates that tool got smaller, the corresponding correction should be applied. For instance, the cutter diameter 10 leaves 0,01 of material. So, the correction of cutter diameter on OSP looks: ADD -0,01 and as the result the diameter of cutter updates to 9,99

You are right. I made a bit of confusion.

If I set a R positive value, the tool moves away from the workpiece (and in this case, no problem, it works)
    But if I set a R negative value (that's the case when the real tool diameter is smaller than the one set in the CAM system, for example 9.8 instead of 10 mm) it is ignored by the cnc

Any suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teto_71 View Post
    You are right. I made a bit of confusion.

If I set a R positive value, the tool moves away from the workpiece (and in this case, no problem, it works)
    But if I set a R negative value (that's the case when the real tool diameter is smaller than the one set in the CAM system, for example 9.8 instead of 10 mm) it is ignored by the cnc

Any suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Thanks
    Simple, program using cutter radius compensation as it is designed to be used.
    i.e. rather than programming centreline cutting and then trying to use a negative value for your cutter comp, program for actual rad comp moves and use the ACTUAL Cutter Radius... problem solved.
    By doing it this way, you will actually use the system the way it is supposed to work, (this applies to ALL systems, not just Okuma)
    You will also avoid having to change G41/G42 in your code.
    If you forget that you have changed cutter comp direction, you might end scrapping a part.
    Cheers
    Brian.

hello i just solved for r<0 a few minutes ago; is fresh ! :tree: works for turning and miling

a toolpath created for real tool radius can be generated to tool center, but the oposite is not always possible, as when roughing ( or custom prefinishing ) with a big tool

for someone used to create programs on tool center, is hard to switch, because doing so is 2nd nature; is a habit; however, even if the programer would change, there is still the operator habit

so, as for this dual mode, is possible to solve even more, as to use real tool radius compensation on a program created for tool center, and viceversa; this is a subpart of parametrization related to operators habit ... and there is even more / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

:banana::banana::banana:
    :tree::tree::tree:

Quote Originally Posted by deadlykitten View Post
    hello i just solved for r<0 a few minutes ago; is fresh ! :tree: works for turning and miling

a toolpath created for real tool radius can be generated to tool center, but the oposite is not always possible, as when roughing ( or custom prefinishing ) with a big tool

for someone used to create programs on tool center, is hard to switch, because doing so is 2nd nature; is a habit; however, even if the programer would change, there is still the operator habit

so, as for this dual mode, is possible to solve even more, as to use real tool radius compensation on a program created for tool center, and viceversa; this is a subpart of parametrization related to operators habit ... and there is even more / kindly