584,830 active members*
5,897 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Hardware > Building blue laser CNC for microfluidics, need help with beam expander /opinions

Building blue laser CNC for microfluidics, need help with beam expander /opinions

see the current BOM and a rendering of some openSCAD drawings
    laser etcher

thinking that this looks good for microstepping pretty fast:
    Allegro MicroSystems - A4989: Dual Full-Bridge MOSFET Driver with Microstepping Translator

I need to find a 405 or 445nm laser that's 1-3 watts (higher is better so I can undercurrent and extend lifespan I think)

I'll need help with the optics too, I know I need a beam expander but I'm not sure where to start as far as lenses and powers, etc...

I'm not sure exactly what it is you are trying to do, but if you need a nice round laser dot you will need a lot more than a beam expander.

I'm assuming you are wanting to use the infamous 1W 445 diodes? Those lasers have a very very horrible output, it's a line more than a round dot. The only real way to fix it is with cylindrical lenses or a prism set, but both will have a bit of losses putting you further from your 1W under driven requirement.

405 diodes have a better output but they are not up to 1W+, at least reliably. I would say that around 600-700mW is all you should expect to (reliably) get from a single mode "12x" diode. You could combine a pair with a polarized beam splitter with decent results though.

But, if you are simply trying to engrave things you really have no need for a beam expander or corrective optics. Blue diode lasers are small and can handle heat well. You can simply put on on the flying head and ditch flying mirrors (and a beam expander) all together. Once you focus to a small point the horrible output pattern won't matter as much, plus it will actually engrave better.

Anyway, hope I helped a bit. If you still need more advice I know of a few forums I could point you to that know all about high power visible lasers.