585,906 active members*
3,804 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > okuma lb15 bubble memory card

okuma lb15 bubble memory card

I need instructions to replace this memory card. I have a new one but not sure how to install it and what needs to be done

HELP

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I need instructions to replace this memory card. I have a new one but not sure how to install it and what needs to be done

HELP
    hi
    at least be sure that u have all disks that came with the maschine.

i am only a maschine worker, on my lb15 dit we change the bubble memory,
    this summer (by okuma service) he tolds me that he have to booting the maschine from Disk and needs all disks, and if you dont remove the Batterie you can save all parametres and your programms.
    i am not sure, that he have any other (special) disks.

I just moved my LB15 to a new place. When I start it I get a message saying: Bubble memory card error. The manual tells me it may be damaged so I need to fix the problem as soon as possible. Can you tell me where to get this card other than okuma service (they are way too expensive)? Is there a way to test the card and see if the card can be fixed?

Thank you.

moving arround is not a reason for memory card to die.
    Check crate connections first. Check cables in control cabinet. Check backup battery voltage.
    There are jumpers, check if they still in their places. I mean CPU board, memory controller card - see diagrams, what is relevant there.
    Okuma offers replacement by static CMOS memory. Bubble memory is not produced anymore.

Assuming your info is correct and that you really have bubble, Algirdas is pretty much right. "moving arround is not a reason for memory card to die." I would try to reseat the board and check connections. Real bubble memory is like flash memory's predecessor in that it didn't require a battery backup.

Therefore there would be no reason to lose anything when moving the machine. We used to get machines in from Japan that had been shipped and put in storage for long periods, and when powered up would have everything including the programs still intact after long periods of time.

If your bubble was replaced with CMOS, you could lose your memory when the battery dies and you would need to re install the software from the original disks. Your memory card will have a battery pack mounted on it if this is the case.

By the way, which control do you have on the machine? By your description I would say 5000L or 5020L-G since they used bubble.

Best regards,

Original LB15 would for sure have bubble memory. OSP500l-g or 5000l-g. Remove one board at a time from the back plane and re-seat them. You don't nee to pull them all the way out, only an inch or so. If that does not fix it, remove each board and check to see if the wire wound chokes on the boards have broken loose. I've seen this about 3 times in the last 20 years. Lastly, if it is the bubble, you will need to get a replacement board from Okuma. You have no other choice since bubble is no longer produced. That goes for Fanuc as well. Times change.

thank you so much for your help. The control on the machine is an OSP5020L, although I have not checked the memory card individualy, I did remove each board, restarted the machine and the same error comes out. Next thing I will perform is what Algirdas recommends. I will keep you informed.

Another issue arising from this problem is that the booting Disks are not available in the shop. I have called okuma service office and they would boot the machine for $3200 dollars, so I wonder if someone has them??

Also, I do not have the diagrams and I cannot perform checks, so if some of you guys could let me borrow some pictures or scanned images on these diagrams would be of great help.

Thank you guys

You will need the floppy disks for the machine
    You will need to have Okuma come out and load the software either with the 8" or 5 1/4 floppy drive that has it's own board that fits in the CPU rack. If it's a mill with the floppy drive built in, it can be done through there. IF you have the built in drive, there is a switch in the electrical cabinet that says load. Turn it on, put a disk 1 in and turn on the machine. Maku sure you check jumper settings on the board.

It seems like okuma service is the only way to go. I looked in other shops that have the same machine and nobody has the floppy discs, so I guess okuma is the only one that has them.

Another thing is the diagrams, I do not have any diagrams on this section. Please if someone of you guys have them let me know.

Normally your floppies are in the back of the electrical cabinet in a blue disk holder. On the 5020, you will need the portable floppy drive as well as the tape reader in order to do the install since the tape reader has the install switch on it.

3200 seems pretty steep to get you machine going...does this include replacing the board or is Okuma gouging you that bad for a service call?

The install should only take about an hour and you know already how much time it takes to change out the board...

By the way, did you check the cables and unplug them and reseat them too? I'm assuming that when you reseated the boards, you took the cables off and on too. The other thing is if you have the card out, make sure all of the removable chips are seated properly as well. I had one that took a bumpy ride that just had a loose chip-pushed them all in again and she booted.

If they have to make you new disks, you may want to consider adding any options you want too. The disks are serial number specific, so unless you find someone with the exact same configuration (check the data managment card in the back of the elec. cabinet) their disks will not work.

Best regards,