585,996 active members*
4,834 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > holding thin material on lathe

holding thin material on lathe

I need to turn a very thin aluminum piece on the lathe. It seems like somewhere I have heard of glueing thin stock to something thick enough to hold in the 4 jaw chuck and then use heat to take the pieces apart after the turning is complete. The trouble is I cannot remember anything about the technique beyond that. Can someone help me with the details please?
    Thanks in advance:wave:

How thin? Thur hole? I have used hot glue, I have used lead, I have used primer on a part and super glue. I have made disk larger than what I need then do cut off the excess. There are a lot of different ways in which to approach this.

like crazy says, more info would be good. if its sheet metal thick, put something in the 3 jaw, face clean using a fast feed - better to leave some marks - the spiral will help hold. face another piece and centre drill on the opposite side. sandwich the work between the bung and the headstock mounted piece. The two pieces you made are slightly expendable, the work and sandwiched between and all are cut together. take light cuts. you can use double sided tape but I've found this creates surface that doesn't support the work at the cut, that is when you are cutting thin stock. for thicker stuff, use carpet tape and for thicker still use a three jaw spider

Wink Try Shellac

If its flat, on a face plate, glue it on with shellac.
    Soak in methelated spirits to remove with no damage.
    If you take a skm on a faceplate first, glue to it, then machine you can make VERY thin parts.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Smile

wow thanks to all of you.
    The piece in question is a thin aluminum casting which is a cylinder head for a model steam engine. The circumferance doesn't require turning. One side needs to be faced off. The whole thing is not thick enough to be held in a chuck securely and there are no holes in it. Sorry I wasn't more descriptive in my orginial post. I have save all three post in my tips folder.

Sounds like the head for one of the PM Research engines

chuck up some scrap ~1/2" diameter larger than the casting and bore a recess to hold the casting in - superglue in place, turn and use acetone to remove.

Use the same fixture to prep the other head but don't through drill for the piston rod - drill and ream with this part glued in the cylinder after you bore the cylinder before you pull it from the chuck.

Aaron

MiteeBite makes a product that is like a wax paper that you heat up with a heat gun , then stick the parts on . You release it by butting it in a pan of hot water

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chipsinpan View Post
    MiteeBite makes a product that is like a wax paper that you heat up with a heat gun , then stick the parts on . You release it by putting it in a pan of hot water
    Thanks chipsinpan, I found their website and have sent them an email.

Holding thin material in lathe

If you have removable jaws for your chuck you can make a set of soft jaws. You then bore the jaws to size and to a depth shallower than the thickness that you want to cut. This is a way to hold a piece very securely and accurately in the lathe.

ErnieD

try a 6 jaw chuck!
    They are made for thin or fragile parts, just take it easy.
    Be carefull what you wish for, you might get it.

regarding soft jaws and 6 jaw chucks

Thanks ErnieD and Jrom,

Both viable suggestions, but not available on my little hobby lathe. In the past I have used the soft jaws to good advantage. That was on a much larger lathe then I have at present. What I have now is a tinker toy by comparison. The closest I could come to that is by using the face plate and making a fixture on it. Anyway thanks for the input it is good to have all of these suggestions. Thats what I like about CNCzone.:wave:

Depending on the thickness. Use double stick tape

hold thin plate in lathe

Hi

Iam brand new here
    i need to do machining in lathe tungsten material
    final size of product is 75mm dia and 3mm thick.
    i unable hold on chuck 3mm thickness(chair).. i need to turn solid pieces without center hole.

any one can give me good idea for holding on lathe or milling
    ..in my work shop manual lathe and manual milling m/c aviliable for machining..
    can send reaply to my email. [email protected]

Thanks
    Jnanes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SAM_1333.JPG  

I have been told this will work, but I have not done it myself. The man that told me this was a clock smith.

Turn a piece of wood to the correct diameter. Super glue the metal to the wood for turning. Use a propane torch to release the metal from the wood after you are finished turning. Super glue is not a high temp material and will lose bonding strength if heated.
    Perhaps others will verify if this works.

Thin plate

Thank Q for ur valuable idea.. We already try but not good enough to hold for machining ..
    We can try sandwich in-between chuck and tailstock .. !
    We still need good enough for it
    ThankQ
    John:drowning::drowning:

Sandwich is good.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.