585,567 active members*
3,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Power Supply, Output

Hi all,
    I was just wondering how many outputs I need for a power supply. When I took a look at this one website, it asks for single output double, triple, four or more outputs. I'm not sure which one I need or what exactly this means, for three axis would I need a triple output? There are also other options, there is External, Linear Regulated, and the list goes on and on. What should work for me? Also, does anyone know any good places to get a power supply? From Canada or U.S., from Canada would work out better if possible.
    Thank you all so much for your time.
    I really appreciate it. :rainfro:

The number of outputs reffer to the number of different voltage output it is capable of. You'll only need a single ouput supply for your motors reguardles of the number of motors you have. Hope this helps.

Yup, thank you very much. So, what about all of that other "mumbo jumbo" to me right now anyway? Take a look at the Digikey website and if you want, search Power Supplies, and then go to the site that gives you all of the options. I don't know what half of the stuff there means.
    Thanks.

I'm not sure about External, but what you want is a linear (i.e. not switched), unregulated (i.e. the voltage will vary some depending on how much current you draw - this doesn't matter for this application) power supply. This is essentially a transformer, a rectifier, and some capacitors.

A regulated supply will work too, but is more expensive, less efficient, and have more parts that can brake.

Arvid

Linear supplies are more inefficient than switching power supplies. I think you can go as the previous advises go with a single output power supply. Voltage rating around 20-30 and amperage to supply the maximum of the 3 steppers you want to power plus 20%. That will cover all the bases.
    My experience is that single supplies in that range are more expensive. So usually a multiple output is more common to find and cheaper. As long as it provides the juice you need it will be fine.
    Jose.
    SuperDAD

How would you wire a multiple output to a board and motors?
    Thanks.

Smile Single verses multiple outputs

I think there is a missconseption as to the difference between single and multiple output power supplies. A power supply with a single output voltage will have only one set voltage even though it could have multiple output terminals. A power supply with multiple outputs will have two or more different voltage outputs with a single terminal or multiple terminal for each voltage output. If you only need one voltage use a single output power supply and split the output through a terminal block as long as you have enough amps in the power supply to go around. I myself am planning to build an unregulated supply, one for each motor. As mentioned before there are fewer parts to go bad and it is cheaper on the purse.