584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Vee 4 Steam Engine

These images are of the engine that I have just completed.It is double acting and fully reversible with variable valve timing. Runs like a clock from 1 rpm to 1000 rpm.
    Regards Dale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_3113.jpg   DCP_3114.jpg  

Looks really Nice. do you have a video? Would like to hear it run.

I have yet to learn to upload video but I will as soon as possible.
    Dale.

do have any blueprints? i would love to make one that good i have made some small ones, but that would be graet
    ezdoesit

This engine was designed with as a solid model and it was constructed from the model. I have not produced any construction drawings as such but everthing is possible.
    Regards Dale

Dale, that is a very cool design and looks built by a craftsman's hands. Also looks large, is this for a launch perhaps? what's are the bores - and what are you running it on, boiler wise? did you cast the value chests yourself? are the cylinders also bronze castings or is the CI liners in there? soooo many questions, would love to hear and see more on it.

wow.

I like this alot.

It does look a little big... whatcha gonna use it for? Are you going to offer the plans for sale? I would be interested in them.

Eric

I forgot to ask... did you use castings for the case?

Eric

that thing cant get any cooler looking
    ignore the spelling mistake

Vee 4 steam engine

There seems to be interest in this type of engine so I will put together the main details and post them for interested people to view. It may spark some more ideas. I cast all the parts using foam patterns. The cylinder bores are bronze with cast iron pistons. Cast iron liners will be fitted when needed.
    The crankshaft and conrods are out of a EA81 Subaru engine. The crankcase is cast from aluminium. This engine has 92mm bore and 67mm stroke and can take up to 500 psi if needed. I designed this engine for a 22 foot steam launch with a water tube boiler which is designed but not built.
    The images show the foam patterns and some of the castings.
    Regards Dale.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_2201.jpg   DCP_2342.jpg   DCP_2349.jpg  

More info please!

Hi Dale
    I would like to see more pictures of how you made this engine. I have a few friends that are asking me if I can help make them a steam engine, and this one just heightened my interest as I have about a dozen E81 engines laying around the scrap pile!!

Vee 4 Info

Here are more images. When I pull this engine to pieces I will take some photos of each part. The case is made to house the crankshaft with bearing caps fitted as per EA81. The bottom half of the case is basically a sump. The Subaru conrods fit into the crossheads. The oil pumps feeds oil to the mains and bigend bearings as well as the trunk guides. Some oil from the trunk guides pass through a hole in the crossheads to lubricate the wrist pin.
    This engine does not require a flywheel as there are 8 power strokes per rev.
    The brass lever is for foward and reverse and allows you to advance or retard the steam admission. Steam cut off is built into the piston valves.
    Regards Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCP_3112.jpg   DCP_3116.jpg   IMGP0303.jpg   IMGP0300.jpg  

Re: Vee 4 Info

II Like your chain tensioners and oil pumps, Very well done !!!

fantastic!!
    you gotta admire a guy thet makes his own foam patterns for his own castings for his own design and then machines them and assembels them into a working thing of beauty.
    My ownly other question is what is your anticipated operating pressure and then what does the engine wiegh?
    I'm still in the design stages of a 3cyl engine with a relitivly small bore and stroke that runs on 1000psi steam. The plan being to reduce the size and wieght of the engine and steam consumption by running at the higher psi.
    I get no help from the guys in the steam clubs I belong to on this because they are all fire tube/traction engine and locomotive types and get scared when I start talking about high pressure water tube boilers and the like.

Hi Merl,
    This engine weighs 80 kg and the operating pressure will only be 250psi.
    If you make a water tube boiler with steel tubes then 1000 psi is possible.
    Regards Dale

I have a question: Steam engines, piston type that is, are appallingly inefficient. If you are going to the complexity of making a multi-cylinder engine why not do something with compound expansion to get improved efficiency?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Vee 4 Compound

Quote Originally Posted by Geof View Post
    I have a question: Steam engines, piston type that is, are appallingly inefficient. If you are going to the complexity of making a multi-cylinder engine why not do something with compound expansion to get improved efficiency?
    Hi Geof,
    This vee 4 engine can be compound just by changing the manifold.
    Compounding is great if designed to do so but all of the locos I have built work very well without compounding. At full speed and power efficiency drops off.
    Check this engine out, it has 4 cylinders 4" bore x 5" stroke.
    Regards Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails garrat.jpg  

Yes Dale, you're right.
    I'll be using stainless steel diesel injector lines initaly but, have another plan on the boards once I safely attaine 1k psi.
    This is all going for a hy-brid, motive power sorce I have been working on (and off) for a few years now. I'm close to a working unit but, I am having some design issues that are causing some vibration problems at the higher operating rpm needed by the engines small torque window.... I don't want to bore you with the details that you are probably already aware of.
    If you don't mind I may wish to PM you with some discusion on the water tube stuff ?
    By the way I think you have an obsean amount of fun with your loco !

merl