585,922 active members*
3,803 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Oi-mc Look ahead

The control comes with 15 block look ahead and 40 is an option.
    How much of a difference is 25 extra blocks?
    Thanks

Depends on what you are using the machine for. If you are doing complex 3d work then you will want the extra blocks of look ahead. If what you are doing is fairly simple then the standard 15 will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by JDenyer232 View Post
    Depends on what you are using the machine for. If you are doing complex 3d work then you will want the extra blocks of look ahead. If what you are doing is fairly simple then the standard 15 will be fine.
    Thanks for the repley. I'd say 30% surfacing. I think the option is $4000.00.
    Very steep

When you say surfacing do you mean facemilling? We just have the standard look ahead and we do a lot of parts with multiple pockets, both square and round. While our parts are not overly complicated they are not simple either. Our controller has no problem keeping up with what we use it for. I believe the extra blocks of look ahead are more for die making that has complex 3d geometry. Hope this helps.

When you say surfacing do you mean facemilling? We just have the standard look ahead and we do a lot of parts with multiple pockets, both square and round. While our parts are not overly complicated they are not simple either. Our controller has no problem keeping up with what we use it for. I believe the extra blocks of look ahead are more for die making that has complex 3d geometry. Hope this helps.
    Complex 3d geometry with 1/16 BEM max spindle RPM 8000.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIG View Post
    Complex 3d geometry with 1/16 BEM max spindle RPM 8000.
    Thanks
    I would ask the company you are buying the machine from if you can add this option at a later date, that way you can try it without the extra look ahead and see if it meets your expectations, if not then you can order and know that you will be paying for something that you truly need. Extra look ahead is mainly for improved surface finish on complex 3d work, it may or may not shorten your cycle time, all depends on your program and what you are doing.

I would ask the company you are buying the machine from if you can add this option at a later date, that way you can try it without the extra look ahead and see if it meets your expectations, if not then you can order and know that you will be paying for something that you truly need. Extra look ahead is mainly for improved surface finish on complex 3d work, it may or may not shorten your cycle time, all depends on your program and what you are doing.
    Thats a good idea. I was thinking about trying to get them to throw it in to make the sale.
    Thank for your reply.