584,874 active members*
4,968 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

z-zero plate, mach2, soundlogic

hey, i read somewhere here that some of you are already mimicking the shop-bot z-zero plate system... but for the life of me i cant find this info...

i am using mach 2 hooked to a SoundLogic breakout board. i have 1 proximity sensor / axis that i am using for both axis limits and homing.

now, i want to ad that little plate, ive played all night adding it in different configurations and getting some progress but not exactly what im looking for.

so i want a wire to a plate that i put under the bit. hit the old "refZ" buton and have it find that aluminum plate with the bit.

my breakout board has a spot for limit and home switches / axis. but from what i read they are together in parallel anyhow, the extra ports are just for wiring convenience.

anyone else using this breakout board and mach2 made this work???

shnitzel

shnitzel

Pretty much regardless of which brand of break out board you use, if you're running one LPT then you have five inputs available.

How you are using those five inputs is up to you the builder.

You can get more inputs via a second LPT or a variety of other ways.

If you have one spare input then that is all you need to use a Z auto zero plate.

Perhaps if needed you could free up one input by having two existing limit switches share one input. Usually not a problem in Mach.

For an explanation of a working example of a zero plate see this post.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36099

This is such a simple, reliable and consistent time saver that everyone running a relevant machine should have one.

Hope this helps, Greg

shnitzel

To add the touch plate to Sound Logic board:
    The best way (if you are using Mach3) is to add a button on the Run screen
    and put script that uses probe function in it. Connect it to the Z home/limit input. I don't have the script handy but if you email me off list I will send it to you. Jim

So is there somewhere in the code that tells it to "ignore limits" so that if you share the input with your Z axis home/limit the machine will not go into e-stop when that probe switch is hit (that is shared with the Z home/limit)?

Can you post the code to this thread when you get a chance?

Let me have a look for it. May take a day or so. I am very busy with a project with a deadline.
    I usually use it with out the limit but you should be able to turn the limit off in script then run the probe code then zero the Z axis when the switch is hit and move the Z up an inch or so. Then turn the limit back on.
    maybe .... haven't tried it yet. Let you know.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by mgamber View Post
    So is there somewhere in the code that tells it to "ignore limits" so that if you share the input with your Z axis home/limit the machine will not go into e-stop when that probe switch is hit (that is shared with the Z home/limit)?

Can you post the code to this thread when you get a chance?
    If you don't have a spare then you would be better to have your Z limit share an input with say the Y limit. That's easily done.

Then you will free up an input to use as a probe input.

Did you look at the link I posted above? It has an example code with comments to make it clear.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by jcullins View Post
    Let me have a look for it. May take a day or so. I am very busy with a project with a deadline.
    I usually use it with out the limit but you should be able to turn the limit off in script then run the probe code then zero the Z axis when the switch is hit and move the Z up an inch or so. Then turn the limit back on.
    maybe .... haven't tried it yet. Let you know.

Jim
    Jim how do I get my zero plate to work as a home function without it thinking it is a limit switch?

Andy
    Andy Buchholz
    www.easternshoresigns.com