585,722 active members*
4,147 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Oxygen Pierce solenoid Valve

I'm trying to find an oxygen valve for pierce/cut on a cnc oxy/fuel table. I have looked the better part of the day with no results. Someone said I could use a CO2/argon type gas solenoid. Will this work or does anyone know where I can get a valve.

AFAIK you should be able to use any Pneumatic valve for Oxygen, of a suitable capacity? Linde used ASCO on their machines for many years.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

ASCO has a valve that is oxygen ready and is assembled free of any oils that could ignite and blow you up . They charge for that service too.

I would contact ASCO and inquire about which valve is they suggest.

This link explains the de-greasing and black light inspections required to protect their rear-ends.

http://www.lesman.com/unleashd/catal...s/asco_opt.pdf

Good luck!

Tom

Butler & Land Valves

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaGuy View Post
    ASCO has a valve that is oxygen ready and is assembled free of any oils that could ignite and blow you up . They charge for that service too.

I would contact ASCO and inquire about which valve is they suggest.

This link explains the de-greasing and black light inspections required to protect their rear-ends.

http://www.lesman.com/unleashd/catal...s/asco_opt.pdf

Good luck!

Tom
    I looked at the ASCO valves and called their local distributor here in Dallas, Butler & Land...The sales guy I talked to should take some lessons in how not to be a prick. I knew "what" I needed but didn't know "what part #" I needed. You would think they could help a CUSTOMER figure out what part # they needed. I started describing to him what I was doing and what I needed and before I could finish he said "I can't do anything without a part number" in a very "rude" manor...

Ok...well I of coarse didn't have a part number thats why I'm calling them for help. Ended up going down the list of valve options to determine what I needed and got to the voltage option. (Aparently I have already taken too much of his time at this point because he is an even bigger prick than when we started) I finally got sick of his whole attitude and hung the phone up.

Needless to say I still dont have a valve and am writing a letter to his Boss. The ASCO valves will fit the bill but I refuse to buy them from the local dealer. Any other valve maker that will work? Sorry for the rant.

Call ASCO and get them to spec your valve. Then call McMaster or Grainger and spend your hard earned $$$ with someone who cares.

Calling that guys manager is a must do also. Just hope you are speaking to the real boss.

Tom

I have used a 110V valve robbed from a wire feeder (argon/Co2) for several years. It's on an old Linde pantograph torch. As I remember I took it apart & cleaned it first with a solvent cleaner then followed up with denatured alcohol & re-assembled.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Roady,

I'll get you the model & SN off of my ASCO valve tomorrow. I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner.

As millman mentioned you could clean any valve and get away with it I suppose.

ASCO has a huge liability they are having to address.:violin:

Im in the same boat. Looking for an oxygen rated solenoid valve.
    Ive just about resigned myself to using a gas saver and just using the oxygen side with my own solenoid or linear actuator to energize it.

http://store.weldingdepot.com/cgi/we...ml?id=47XwbViy

I might even use two of them and let the machine light and extinguish the torch itself.

Quote Originally Posted by millman52 View Post
    I have used a 110V valve robbed from a wire feeder (argon/Co2) for several years. It's on an old Linde pantograph torch. As I remember I took it apart & cleaned it first with a solvent cleaner then followed up with denatured alcohol & re-assembled.
    I have been told by several people the same thing. Thats what I will do as a temporary solution. I spent big $$$ on all new victor equipment so theres no reason to drop the ball on a gas solenoid. I have a 110 volt miller wire machine I will pull the valve out of and clean.

Plasmaguy, Thank You very much for the information. I greatly appreciate it.

Roady,

Here is the data for the valve: ASCO Cat # 8262G20N
    Serial # A342589

It has been 8 years since I built my table and I can't recall what I paid for it.

Good luck,

Tom

This is just a FYI. On asco valves a N on the end of the model number designates oxygen service.

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaGuy View Post
    Roady,

Here is the data for the valve: ASCO Cat # 8262G20N
    Serial # A342589

It has been 8 years since I built my table and I can't recall what I paid for it.

Good luck,

Tom
    From what I'm understanding from the link to the PDF in this topic all they do to say it can be used for oxygen is add the "N" prefix, clean the valve so they are free of any oils and inspect them with a black light and seal the valve off. I ordered a similar if not the same valve a couple hours before you posted that part number. I'm just gonna clean the valve with some denatured alchohol and blow it out with some nitrogen and call it good.

Heres the part number I ordered plus a few more similar ones.
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UL51 (picked up for $59.35)
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UL56
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3UL57 ($110, For Hazardous Locations)
    Theres a few more on there too.