585,994 active members*
4,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: touch screen

Question touch screen

Most likely a dumb question but here gos,Can a touch screen be used with tcnc? I am using a mouse with it and its not supposed to support one but i found a utility to do so.Dont know if thats the same but thought i would save myself hours of surfing.Any input would be most welcome.Thanks!

A touch screen is virtually the same as a mouse, the driver is loaded at bootup.
    I prefer ELO, either the RS232 or USB version.
    If a mouse works there is a good chance the TS will also.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

Have you set some of these up?

I have looked in to replacing a touch screen on a piece of equipment from an OEM that is no longer in business. I spoke with ELO who created the original interface, only to find out the cost would have been near $3000+ by the time we purchased the screen(21" VGA CRT) and had them program each screen field function. To purchase the software and program it ourselves was even more costly. This version had a skin over the CRT and an I/O board in a PCI slot on the MB. ELO made it sound like it was something only the factory was capable of.

I have found several touch panel overlays, but finding the software to program them and compatible drivers to run it on a windows 3.1 PC is a crap shoot at best. I don't have time to re-invent the complete touch system.

I set it up with a serial mouse and a 19" LCD. Maybe not as convenient, but functional. The operators are happy because the mouse is more accurate and less prone to unintended selections. I'd exepect the newer model touch screens to be better in that regard.

DC

Most of the systems I use are 10"~12" LCD, I use the ELO serial RS232, usually, the drivers for DOS & WIN3.1 are still readily available,they all used to be on the ELO web site, including set up and diagnostic programs.
    The T.S. also serves as a LCD protection, otherwise you need to fit a glare free protection screen in the front.
    The T.S. is separate from the LCD, but some T.S. monitors as used in restaurants have the TS controller built in to the video controller.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.