584,808 active members*
5,362 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > I need to build a paper tape emulator

I need to build a paper tape emulator

I have a couple of machines that run on paper punch tape. These are the machines that my industry uses and they were built so well, back in the '70's and '80's, that they are still running and nobody replaces them. Consequently, the input system is dated. Most everybody uses the CTES program and ISA card made by Centrum. They, however, want $650.00 for a new card (proprietart equivalent to a $30.00 scsi card). I have seen some archives mentioning plans to build a tape emulator on the 'net, but I can't seem to find anything that actually shows plans/schematics. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated. All I need is the information and I can build it.

I would guess it might be a case of a complete retrifit to current CNC control methods. The amount of time and experimentation it would take to build an emulator woould be more than the cost of a retrofit.

Depending on the servos on the current machine you may be able to install encoders on them and work your way back from there.

If it was a case of just having to work back from encoders I would guess the cost could be between 1 and 2000 dollars. If you think that your conventional cards cost $650 then the conversion would pay for itself in 3 cards. I expect you would also get greater control with conventional CNC methods too.

I dont know any thing about punch tape machines, but from just the name, they sound kind of primitive.

How much were you expecting to pay for your emulator ?
    Being outside the square !!!

Benny, The paper tape reader is not a servo system but just a way of loading the nc program.
    Paramax, I looked into this a while ago, commonly known as a BTR or behind-the-tape-reader.
    It depends on some degree how your machine electronics handle the information coming out of the reader, I did however make a parallel to serial interface for converting the tapes into a RS232 serial port. The reader essentially is a paralled read (8 bit + 1 bit for the sprocket hole) The sprocket hole is read also and is used for clocking the 8 bit data. it should be possible to emulate the reader itself by using a printer port possibly. If you have any ideas let me know.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The machine, itself, is made by Excellon. They are controlled with a CNC6 controller. It was pretty advanced for the time it was designed in. The controller is capable of multi-tasking. The axes have Sony optical encoders with a resolution of .0001". The machine will drill a hole if it is within .001" of the programmed coordinate. The lead screws are so tight that, when you grease them, you have to wipe off all of the grease that you can using a cleaner like WD40, or the residual grease will bind the ball nut enough to trip the over-current on the drive. These machines are still used, every day, in just about every circuit board shop in America. All I need to do is get info into the controller. I have one PC set-up to do it and it uses a A/B switch to pick the machine. I am doing some upgrades and I need to set up at least one more of these. I am willing to pay a fair price, but $650.00 for a $30.00 card is not fair. No retrofit necessary, just an emulator.

Al, I must have been typing at the same time as you. I know it is possible to do it through the printer port, I am just not sure how. I have all the documentation on the machine, including many of the field service manuals. I will look and see if I can find the communication protocals. Thanks.

The reader is a TRP125A Series SLO-SYN Photoelectric Tape Reader. It operates in asynchronous mode, requiring a pulse to either of the foreward or reverse inputs to advance to the next character. It will operate at up to 125 characters per second.
    It uses a DB25 connector and the pinout is:
    1 -V output (11.5VDCto 17.5 VDC)
    2,3 11VAC output(7.8 to 11.3 VAC)
    4 +V output(+14 VDC to +20 VDC)
    5 Signal common
    6 reverse pulse input
    7 signal common
    8 forward pulse input
    9 channel 8, inverted output
    10 channel 8, normal output
    11 channel 7, inverted output
    12 channel 7, normal output
    13 channel 6, inverted output
    14 channel 6, normal output
    15 channel 5, inverted output
    16 channel 5, normal output
    17 channel 4, inverted output
    18 channel 4, normal output
    19 channel 3, inverted output
    20 channel 3, normal output
    21 channel 2, inverted output
    22 channel 2, normal output
    23 channel 1, inverted output
    24 channel 1, normal output
    25 not used

Back in the 70's we had a primitive network setup where a parallel interface emulated a paper tape reader. This was when a 2.5mbyte disk drive was really expensive. A parallel port on a thrown away pc running dos would be plenty. Trouble is if you can't find the software available someplace where somebody else has already developed it, my guess is it will cost you a lot more that $600 to get it developed. Have you tried a google search?

Phil

this any help?
    http://www.circuitree.com/CDA/Classi...,62092,00.html

That looks like what I had in mind I think they just use a parallel cable http://www.fastec.com/btr/index.html
    They don't mention price.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Yeah, tried google, tried fastec. Waiting for fastec to email me back on price. I have one setup and it works, but I need to make things more efficient. I could copy this card that I have and the time and effort would be less than $600.00. I would rather, however, pay somebody an honest price for something worthwhile. Google wasn't much help. That is where I found the fastec. I have one email address for someone who put together a how-to many years ago. He said that his stuff was really dated and I would be better off searching the forums, but I think I have made an honest effort and come up with nothing. I will try him back.

I Have Ctes Software For Sending Program From Pc To Cnc Machine But That Software Only Support Ms-dos But I Want To Use Windows Becouse I Need Networking.....

jacque lamond at consltronics in montreal canada makes a paper tape converter for excellon drill/routing machines. i don't know what his address or # is. there is a pc board place in ville st. laurant quebec canada that uses them, the owners name is wally, thats all i know.

Any updates

Hi Guys,

I have come up with the same query as you.
    I need schematics or info on how i can make a btr or a way to communicate with my Yasnac 3000G controller. Any of you solved this one?
    If not any suggestions on a good cheap BTR on the net?

Thanks

Hi,

Sometime back on this forum someone posted a method to to move files to a cnc control by somehow making the control think it was a printer and the data was sent via the printer port. I do not know how to do a search for this post but maybe someone else might.

Ernie

This would be very simple from a standard parallel port using opto-isolators.
    You would need to write the software to drive the port but the interface seems very simple (send next/previous byte).

Do you have any info on the signal voltages (TTL, CMOS, etc)?

The issue is that you will need to invest more time into a home-grown solution than a ready made system will cost. It will only pay if you have several systems to convert.

Quote Originally Posted by paramax55
    The reader is a TRP125A Series SLO-SYN Photoelectric Tape Reader. It operates in asynchronous mode, requiring a pulse to either of the foreward or reverse inputs to advance to the next character. It will operate at up to 125 characters per second.
    It uses a DB25 connector and the pinout is:
    1 -V output (11.5VDCto 17.5 VDC)
    2,3 11VAC output(7.8 to 11.3 VAC)
    4 +V output(+14 VDC to +20 VDC)
    5 Signal common
    6 reverse pulse input
    7 signal common
    8 forward pulse input
    9 channel 8, inverted output
    10 channel 8, normal output
    11 channel 7, inverted output
    12 channel 7, normal output