585,948 active members*
3,871 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Standard Haas Software

After an hour searching I can't seem to find any info on what software comes with a Haas.

The site says they do their own software but I'm getting the impression they really mean firmware. Or do they include some kind of low end CAM or something? I'm planning on buying a MiniMill. If they don't include software what's a recommended CAM package. MasterCAM seems a bit pricey though I can't find pricing on MasterCAM. I saw some hints it's somewhere in the 5K to 15K range?

And the site shows the coolant pump as an option. Is there really no standard coolant capability? What sense is that?

Haas has a simple conversational programing interface (they call it IPS). It has facing, pocketing, hole drilling, and engraving options. They also have visual quick code that pretty much does the same thing, but adds thread milling. For a cam package I run OneCNC. It works well, and I think the base package is about $1500, but they do run a promotion once in a while.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

071007-0901 EST USA

swisscheese:

In the broad sense what is software? I would answer that it is what is not hardware. Even this is a hard definition to work with. Is firmware not software?

Because I put a program in a fuseable link ROM is that hardware or software? Maybe either way. Suppose that I can take 123 and ROM it. Does ROMing it make it any less a software program than if I put it on a floppy or in RAM?

I think DSL PWR gave you a fairly useful answer. No HAAS does not provide you a CAM program.

I would argue that IPS and Quick Code are tools to help you avoid thinking about the basic operation of G, M, and MACROS coding. Should you avoid this thinking? That is up to you.

When you start to work with the machine I believe you should force yourself to study the manual, experiment with this information, figure out how the machine works, and from examples in the manual figure out how to create your own programs. Study the #-addresses and see what you can do with these. Like how do you output the start and end time of a machine cycle, or the duration of a cycle. How do you make a big loud bell announce the end of cycle, or a broken tool?

For any real CAM program you have to go to sources that specialize in that type of software.

Gar: I agree - doesn't really matter what form the software is in. I understand the situation now. Thanks.

I've ordered my first Haas VF and first CNC mill. I decided on Edgecam after much research. Advice is what you pay for it I suppose. Wish me luck.

I always tell new people to the world of CAM Software to try before you buy. This will give you a good feel if a particular software is better for your line of work and for you as the user. I have never bought CAM or CAD without trying for 30 days. I have not been disappointed yet on doing this method of choosing. Now I will do research and talking to the sales people, literature ect... to get it down to the final 2 choices.