Thread: C axis fault

C axis fault

My fadal (32MP, 2004) sometimes stop and write:

Emergency stop - take appropriate action
    C axis fault(s) as follows
    error number #8
    motor overload
    press the jog key to reset t emer. stop

Problem appear on start of the program, allways when Z descenting (befor zero) and sometimes on mesure.

It happend about 1-2 per month. When reset, all work ok.

Any idea?

If you have a C axis make sure it is either plugged in or you have the dummy end plugged in

Thats the problem, i dont have c axsis. Only x,y and z.

C axis generally refers to the spindle. and a motor overload.... Too many variables to say online... Is it happening with a particular job/program/tool ... What is the spindle restraint set at? Does it give you the alarm only at 100% Rapid? In M.D.I. or Jog mode ? Try M.D.I and bring the spindle from stop to as fast as you can to see if you can generate the alarm.

??? food for thought anyway

Try using M3.1 and M4.1 instead of M3 and M4.

It happens after i press auto, start. So on the begining of program, when z axis travel toward table. Or sometimes on mesuring tool lengt.

I allways warmup spindel (20min, 500rpm, 1000rpm, 2000rpm,....to rpm used when i mill).
    Rapid is 25% on pendant.
    It never hapend in jog mode.

Problem does not apears often, but it irriateting me when does...

With 4.1 and 3.1? So joust replace 3 with 3.1?

I use machine for moldmaking. Generaly for small parts. Last month i use 0,5mm ballnose carbide tool for electrode making, drill 600 1,2mm holes for one mold, ...
    Plates for mold i buy allready with holes for guides, so i do not do rough milling.

I am not a FADAL certified repair tech although this has occurred with our machines. You probably have an encoder going out or your amplifier is about to go. We had that problem then it went away about a week before the Vector dirve failed. You may be able to tune the Vector drive and get a few more months out of it. It is not hard. Call Fadal service with your cell phone and have a tech walk you thru the tuning process while you are at the machine.
    Jeff Lange
    Lightning Tool & Manufacturing, Inc.

M3.1 replaces M3, and M4.1 replaces M4.

The ".1" on the end will turn on the spindle and tell the controller to ignore the encoder that monitors the rotation of the spindle.

I believe the spindle encoder is faulty or needs asjustment. M3.1 M4.1 do not work miracles, but they will let the machine continue running without being hung up by that spindle encoder. However, if for some reason the spindle stalls while cutting, the controller will not know that..... a bad thing (tm) is gonna happen at that point.

I had that issue when the machine just arrived here. The tech adjusted the encoder in under a minute, I didn't even see what he did.

I relay appreciated replys. Thanks to all.
    I got prolems with fadal repairman, because the firm that fadal service hold in Slovenia(Europe) does not repair/sold Fadals any more.
    So when i buy machine i was forced to learn to operate my self. Luckily modeling and programs writing for cnc, was my hoby when i study for machine engineer.

This forum was a BIG help so far. And manual from a Fadal all ~1200 pages
    Ok, so encoder... Perhaps when dismounthing and mounthing (for transport) motor for spindel, serviceman make a mistake...

I heard, that new firm, here in Slovenia hold Fadal service now. I give them a call...(fingers cross :drowning: ).
    In other way...i allways can call in Fadal in USA and ask for service man...when he come here, just lock him in a basement and wait to next error to appear (JOKE)

(sory about my English.......)

One thing more............
    this keypad in the machine isnt inside of my fadal. I got baldor small. But no keybord??

Sorry to all, if is a stupid question (only repairam got one or something...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenShot010.png  

That keypad is sold seperately.

if you have a baldor drive with a hole that is about that size, you should just be able to get one and plug it in.

O. Doesnt know that.

One more thing. When i jog z axis down, in the area where sometimes error accur, i heard rubbing (i belive thats the chain). Is there a chance that is the problem for errors? If not, sound is annoying so i need to greas sprockets and chain.

I have 1994 VMC15. Started getting "C" Axis fault kinda frequentlyafter about 6 years. A few months ago, I bought a new Hwacheon Lathe from Wesco machinery in Duarte, Ca. They are a Fadal Dealer also. During installation of the lathe, I mentioned the "C" Axis fault to Robby. He opened the side cabinet where the drives are at and moved all of the wires back and forth. No More "C" Axis fault since last March. He said the connector ends on the wires can build up a type of non conducting erosion over time. Basically, clean the connectors by loosening and moving connectors to scratch thru the dirty film. Pull bayonet connectors off and push back on. I fixed my home heating unit this way.

Workalone, thanks. Seams that was the trouble. Hope so

Ok, Fadal got some troubles sometimes. Who doesnt. Its machine with caracter.

Smile NEW SPINDLE PROBLEM

I started my 1994VMC15 one morning and got that "C" axis error again. Restarting made no difference this time. I called Dave Madden at M&M Machinery repair. He directed me to an inner door on the Baldor inverter and 3 fuses. One was bad. Replaced and no more "C" axis error with a dead spindle. Scarey because I had replaced the inverter on my 4020 and they are expensive.

Seems that about 300Km long trip of my machine do that trouble. Like i was told i move the connectors and problem dosnt apear any more.

We are having issues with our oldest fadal. it is a 1997 4020. We are getting a c axis alarm number 9 . I think this means that the drive is out. If I blow compressed air behind the drive to try and cool it down it seems like it will work longer. Maybe I just need to change the fans in the drive. it is a baldor drive with the keypad 10k 10 hp

ChecK the fans first. Had the same problem and just had to clean 20 years of junk out of them.

Re: C axis fault

I have a citizen m32 2001 cnc machine problem on C axis when I start the program stops blocked on M18 C0 even on MDI it does not work there is no alarm nothing