584,837 active members*
4,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Solidworks to EMC2 Compatible GCode?

I have yet to get anything from solidworks running under EMC2. I have successfully gotten a .DXF file from solidworks into MACH3 using both Lazycam and Ace Converter.

When I try to use the same .nc file that worked under MACH3 from ACE, EMC2 will spit out a bunch of errors, mainly about no feed rate and some other stuff. It will also not display the part in the viewport.

I need a solution, I love EMC2 Compared to MACH3, not because its free but because I feel MACH3 is full of useless buttons, EMC2's interface is much more streamlined.

Basically I can get a good .DXF file from Solidworks, but I cannot get any further in terms of GCode that works with EMC2.

Just an update, I have become proficient at using Solidworks, Lazycam and MACH3 together and at this point I feel that I could do anything I want with this combination....

But I really want to use EMC2.

I have learned to manually set the feedrate with ACE so now I can actually get the file loaded into EMC2... but the downfall I find with ACE is that it does not take into account tool diameter, length etc.

If I could get Lazycam to output EMC Compatible GCode I would be in business.

Have you checked the EMC web site or mailing list? There are great messages coming every day so I really recommend you to join the list if you're using EMC.

I could have forwarded your question, but it would better if you asked it yourself. http://www.linuxcnc.org/

Regards,
    Sven

What post processor are you using? It sounds like you have picked the wrong one for EMC.

John

Could you post some of your code? Maybe we could help you with it.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Big John T View Post
    What post processor are you using? It sounds like you have picked the wrong one for EMC.

John
    Thats what I am thinking too.

Basically I have spent time on the EMC IRC channel and talked with some of the people in there including some devs. It seems like they have concluded that EMC is SUPPOSED to work with the GCode format that LazyCam outputs but it is not yet implemented into EMC2.

The post processor I am using is the "Mill Example.pst" that is included with LazyCam. I could edit this file and probably get a working code but I am not that experienced as some of you others.

I use a GENERIC FANUC post and for the most part it works fine for me. But I'm not using lazycam which seems to be targeted for Mach 3 from a bit of googling.... Don't know how much help you will get for this over in the lazycam forum but it's worth a shot...

John

I get the same problem, i create a DXF file within linux, using CAM Expert (same as QCAD).. . then NC file that is created threre does not work in EMC2... i need to remove some variables...

Strange.

emc2

really new to emc2 ... havent used it yet ...just found it on the net ......does it work with any controllers or just gecko???and steppers????website dont give much away!is there a forum perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by amen23 View Post
    really new to emc2 ... havent used it yet ...just found it on the net ......does it work with any controllers or just gecko???and steppers????website dont give much away!is there a forum perhaps?
    What website are you looking at? EMC Wiki and EMC are very full of information.

John