584,865 active members*
4,765 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hire a machine shop to make surface plates

I am looking for a machine shop to do some machining on steel. Squaring, surface milling, etc...

I'm re/designing my garage-made cnc machine, each axis at a time. In the past, I would do this work myself, but now I feel I want these structures made from steel, and I do not have the equipment to do this work on pieces. I feel the basic square plate designs with bolt patterns would be simple and easy for someone who had the right machinery.

Sizes are roughly 24" x 30" x 1" for part #1 and 12" x 16" x 1" for part #2)

Basically, these would be the plates that I bolt my linear rails and ballscrews to. A plate on the bottom and plate on the top. I would create a mechanical drawing.

So I was wondering if anyone had advice for shops I can call for some quotes, or links to websites? Any input on their experiences and what to lookout for?
    WWW.RAIDGEAR.NET - FFC cables, foam headset replacement parts, and other gadgets.

There is an rfq section in this forum.

I moved it.

To whom it may concern,

MJ-machining is a newly found machine shop in the Pottstown Pennsylvania area. If you are in need of machining services, please feel free to send us an email with a blueprint and part quantity for a free quote. We look forward to doing business with you in the near future.

Thank you,

Matthew Miklich
    Josh Evans

MJ-Machining.com

Any kind of big parts like this, you are going to want a local supplier as freight will kill you. If you aren't aware of a machine shop with the capability you need, ask a shop you know of. Around here all the smaller guys know who has what equipment as they turn to them when they need the bigger stuff done.

I'm not sure what accuracy you looking for but I'd think you need a stress relieved and blanchard ground plate to make a good machine base. I'm not sure what you plan to cut but a chunk of MIC-6 might alleviate some of the hassle.

Matt

Matt that was great advice but that post was from 2007 lol that is something I would do

I only saw the last post was recent, didn't realize it was just random SPAM.

Always a day late...
    Matt