585,938 active members*
3,858 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question CNC Vertical Turning Lathe

I need to design and build a CNC vertical turning lathe (not a retrofit).

Can anyone here help me professionally with the design calculations? You can also reply directly to my email address with experience and terms.

Harshwardhan
    [email protected]

What is there to calculate? Just about anything can be calculated, but what do you need calculated?

Good point!

1)First, you need to read up and figure out how much accuracy and precision you are looking for.

2) Then, you would learn the most and in the shortest amount of time by simply reading up on various builds (including routers and retrofits), and seeing the steps they went through to gain a certain degree of accuracy.

3)Lastly, and this kindof blends in with the second step, it will be very useful for you to have at least a basic understanding of common materials, and their properties before and after being worked. Like how Cold Rolled steel is more dimensionally accurate than Hot Rolled steel. And how metals will always warp to some degree after welding. And about cost-effective ways to increase stability / reduce vibration (like concrete filling).

The simple definition of "Engineering" can be stated as "The best possible outcome with the least possible effort." That is, get as close to the goal (typically "perfection") as possible, but with realistically limited resources.

With that said:
    1) How much money do you want to spend on the whole product (resource)?

2) How much time and effort do you want to put into it (resource)?

3) What kind of specs are you looking for (size, accuracy, capacity, etc)?

1 and 2 are inversely proprtional... for the most part, cost doesn't go down without effort going up. Likewise, time and effort don't go down without cost going up. Both of those will always "equal" the end result. Given a million years, you could probably build a mill that was accurate to .0001", with scraps lying around town. Conversely, if given a million dollars, you could probably build the same mill, but spend about 30 seconds of your time doing it (I.E. call up somebody and tell them what you want). Of course, these are unrealistic scenarios, so you have to find your balance in between.

Ive been designing my mill for about a month. My budget was $1500 max. My total looks like it will be around 1250-1400. I was eventually able to work in all linear bearings, as well as a much better head design, and finally the same work area into a much smaller overall space.

vbm's(verticle boring mills)

take a look at Olympia verticle lathes.that might give you some ideas

How big? A DIY miniature or a commercial size machine? How about size in mm or inch, accuracy requirements, weight of workpieces plus workholding devices? Sounds like an interesting project. Good Luck
    DZASTR