585,978 active members*
4,401 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD-CAM v17 post processor help

BobCAD-CAM v17 post processor help

I may have a chance to buy a copy of BobCAD-CAM ver.17. I have never used this software, and am unsure (read: clueless) about post processing. Does this version need a post processor? If so, is this something I get from BobCAD-CAM? I would be using it with Mach3.

Thanks, John

You can try the BCC Help Forum but that version is about 6 years old.

Here is a link to that site.

http://216.117.147.20/bobcadsupport/forums/index.php
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks, Toby. I know it's old. I would like to get some basic cad/cam software to learn on without spending a lot of money. If I get to knowing what I'm doing, then I will have a better idea what to look for that suits my needs.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnmac View Post
    Thanks, Toby. I know it's old. I would like to get some basic cad/cam software to learn on without spending a lot of money. If I get to knowing what I'm doing, then I will have a better idea what to look for that suits my needs.

John
    V17 is an Old DOS version that may not run on Windows XP in some computers. Also it is so old that most of the GUI isn't used by anyone.

What is it exactly that you want to learn?? CAD, CAM, or Both.

CAD- I suggest Alibre Design at http://www.alibre.com/ they have a free Trian Version with unlimited Saves that runs for 1 full year. That will help with your CAD and 3D Solid Modeling.

CAM I suggest BCC V21 or V2007 Milling Level 3.

These will give you more up to date experience.
    http://www.bobcad.net/index.php?sele...&keyword_page=

Cheers!!!!!
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

Thanks for the heads up on v17. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth.

I need to learn both. I built a small bench top router table to learn on, and am planning to build a larger one this winter. I have rails for a 36"x48" table.

I have experence with Adobe Illustrator, but cad programs have me starting over learning. I downloaded a trial of Dolphin Partmaster and kind of see how the cam program works, but Dolphin CAD-CAM doesn't seem to be very popular.

I don't need all the bells and whistles that the latest versions of software offer, but would like something with more than LazyCAM offers.

John

I don't need all the bells and whistles that the latest versions of software offer, but would like something with more than LazyCAM offers.

John
    Alibre is like SolidWorks and the Express version is Free for 1 year with unlimited saves. See Attachment of Power capabilities.

LazyCAM I know nothing about, but there are members here that use it that you can ask.

Thread
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=357
    Happy hunting and good luck in your new found quest

Cheers!!!!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

To clarify with the Alibre. The license is reoccurring and does not run out. It does re-new itself after the one year time. I have 2 registered copies of Xpress and used for over 2 years (I have one with my full version and I registered one for the boss). It remains free after that subscription with nothing more than logging on to the program.

So don't worry about that 1 year thing as that is for the maintenance on the full version. The full version would also continue to work after maintenance runs out but it is more of a timer so people can see when their maintenance would need renewed.

So it is not a trial version but a free working version with fewer features than the full paid levels. Each level offers additional features.

John
    Then talk to someone about a version 19 or 20. Bobcad has some really good deals if you want a cheap system so these older version are dirt cheap. Just ask around and see what you get.

Don't be afraid of V17. I am just now switching over to 2007 and that's only to do complex 3D stuff.