584,812 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

homemade 3D touch probe?

Somewhere I saw it, how to construct your own 3d touch probe, but alas, it's lost in 30 gigs.

This is almost exactly like the one I remember:
    http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/millingmachine.htm

Anyone seen plans for something like this?

Thanks.
    --
    Dan

Possibly on the TurboCNC yahoo group? I saw it, but not sure where. And, it was a couple months ago.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I seem to recall it in the Yahoo - MACH2 forum. Art (the MACH2 Developer) posted some pics. He used a dial indicator and micro switch. I'm setting up to do one in a week-I'll send along thoughts/comments/pics when done.
    The big plus is MACH2 takes the input and creates the point cloud. But then you need to dump that into something like Rhino - or??? to convet to a usable data.
    Mechanically and electrically, its a pretty straignt forward conversion - I took apart the dial indicator - just need to get the switch before I loose any pieces!
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Hey guys, sorry about the hijack, but

This may not be the same thing and I don't know if it has ever been done but I almost bought a ultra-sound digitizer several yrs ago. Price was just a little too high. But...I was watching tv the other night and saw a commerical for a depth/fish finder for the bass fishermen. It had all the bells and whistles. Would it be possible to make something like this work as a digitizer???

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

I just checked. TCNC yahoo group, in the files area, look for "Simple Probe".
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Gerry. Bingo. ("TurboCNC: the $20 that keeps on returning...")
    --
    Dan

http://www.indoor.flyer.co.uk/probe.htm

I recently updated my webpage and made a page just about the probe made. It is very similar to the one in the Tcnc files but was not a copy. Some aspects I think are better some are worse. There are also some pics of digitizing in progress on my site.

Cheers,

Graham

That is an excellent page Graham, I never realised they could be made so simply. You have certainly tempted me into having a go!

Graham,

You're the star of this thread since I found your site and the design made me start looking for the one I'd seen before.

Thank you for the updated page: I'm sure it'll get a lot of eyeplay.

Someone mentioned elsewhere taking the output to a Schmitt trigger (which I understand "cleans" up a noisy edge transition (from low-to-high or v.v.).

Have you given any thought to putting it on the backside of the PCB inside the tool and adding a bicolor LED?

Cheers.
    --
    Dan

There is also more about probing at the emc-users Sourceforge list and archive. A guy called Dean Hedin has made a module/plugin for EMC to probe a "box" with specified dimensions. I haven't tried it yet myself, my servos's have been very delayed, but I will for sure.

I have access to hi standard CNC grinding machines, so I was thinking of making my probe tool with a 2 or 3 millimeter ball end to get rid of the pressure marks from the probing.

Cheers,
    Sven

So, I'm not totally sure how this works. So, is it when the probe is touched, one or more rods lift up from the bearing and breaks the circuit, so the software knows where to put a point in the cloud? I don't see why bearings would be used, wouldn't they roll around and what not? How did you get them placed so nicely, did you mill a little dimple for them? Oh, yeah, and doesn't the sensitivity change the coordinates a bit? I mean, if it takes say 2 mm of the probe to move out of the ball bearings connection, wouldn't that mess up the coordinates a bit??
    Thanks.

Also, check this out:
    http://thaumaturgy.net/~etgold/scanner/
    Enjoy.

I wote a long and more together reply but lost it so this will have to do

My probe works OK without shmitt but I have bought a Renishaw off ebay for a song and it may need one as connections (balls and rods) are designed for hardness and accuracy rather than electrical conductivity, the resistance is Kohms so some circuit will be needed, I have some info and will post later.

The probe needs VERY little movement to trigger so accuracy does not suffer.

I made some ball ended probe tips by hand down to 1mm, will post pics but have lent them and the probe out to someone.

The balls sit in holes drilled undersized. I think they are 1.5mm to the balls 2mm.

The software knows the z,y,z because it moved the probe there in the first place it just needs to work out how much z it travelled till the circuit was broken, not difficult for it!

Graham

Thank you Graham.
    Would you be willing to share your CAD file of the Touch Probe that you made.
    I totally understand if you do not want to, their is some stuff that I am really proud of aswell and might not like to share it with other people, and think that they may be getting the credit. No problem if you don't want to.
    Thanks.
    DJ.

I would love to share it but it is in a real state and not fit to share and would be a hinderance as it is not a help. I'll have a look at it when I get chance and see if it can be tidied up. But to be honest you can see how simple it is so it isn't hard to draw up your own version. Also most people have machines that can accept >3mm shanks.

Thanks. I'll probably be able to design one too.
    What did you mean by this:?
    Also most people have machines that can accept >3mm shanks?
    Thanks.

My machine has a collet chuck that will go upto 3mm and not bigger and so the probe is designed around the shank being 3mm in diameter. If you have a larger mill or router you might build a bigger probe with bigger shank ( >3mm) etc.

Graham

Do you have any more detail photos you can share?

Have a look at my site, I don't think I can get much more detailed.

Graham

Graham S,
    After looking at you page I notice you don't show a spring on top of the probe inside. Are you simply relying on gravity to keep the probe in the balls until it touches? If you are using a spring I assume it is a very light spring with just enough force to help the probe drop back into the bottom of the balls. Thanks Ron

Page 1 of 3 123