585,589 active members*
3,549 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Have you finished a cnc machine?

View Poll Results: How many CNC Machines have you finished?

Voters
1148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not planning on building a cnc machine.

24 2.09%
  • Still planning 1st cnc machine.

280 24.39%
  • Building 1st cnc machine, but it's not done.

313 27.26%
  • Finished 1 cnc machine.

339 29.53%
  • Finished 2 cnc machines.

100 8.71%
  • Finished more than 2 cnc machines.

92 8.01%
Page 6 of 8 45678
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag-50
    Finished my third machine..
    sorry having a hard time navigating the italian site could you post more pictures of this machine it is really nice are those v bearings on the side

thank you

Rob

Hello Rob, I enclose you link of the gallery the photo that rigurdano that one mine, acchina I hope who you is useful hello Dario

http://www.cnc-dag50.it/index.php?se...bum.php&page=1
    ICQ N° 224-091-233
    http://www.cnc-dag50.it/
    Ciao Dario

the link was great that machine is very nice

Have built 7 CNC Routers small to a 4' x 8' (all sold) 3 plasma cutting tables (all sold)
    1 bench top JET milling machine conv to 3 axis CNC (using) 1 9x12 harbor fright metal lathe to CNC 2 axis (using)

Quote Originally Posted by jwstolk
    First machine was a Lego prototype, but it did work and was
    accurate to within a mm, so i guess it counts. :-)
    http://jwstolk.xs4all.nl/millp.htm

man, u r a god! ive seen some stuff in my time but that is fantastic! ive seen F1 cars, space shuttles and even the odd pirate ship made out of lego (not to mention the other 6 billion different products); but not a cnc! maybe you should speak to LEGO about your cnc, i could see them popping up everywhere in the supermarkets! what will happen: you buy your cnc kit, build the cnc, once your done with it you tear it down and build a dinosaur and about six other different things. (that would get my boy into cnc before he even turns 6)

also: what happens when you crash it? do you spend 24 hours re-building the thing?
    On the other hand, You have different fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by rhino
    man, u r a god! ....

also: what happens when you crash it? do you spend 24 hours re-building the thing?
    Thank you. :-) this project has been going on for a long time, but I just dismantled the Lego prototype a few weeks ago, since I finally have started on building the real thing (tm).
    It will about 5 times bigger than the Lego prototype. about 1200x810x610 mm working range (note the very high vertical clearance) total estimated weight: +/- 450..500 kg, mostly build from 50x50x5 angle-bar. It will be a moving table design, so it's almost 2x1200 mm long. the rail is 30 mm steel rod (drawn KV45, H9), supported (and adjustable) every 180 mm, both vertical and horizontal. I drilled and threaded the rod and glued in 52 pieces of M8 thread. The steel base frame is almost completed and i will be starting on the (moving) table soon.

http://jwstolk.xs4all.nl/mill.htm
    my site could do with an update, but did you see the 2 AVI files on it ?
    http://jwstolk.xs4all.nl/mill.htm

Finished #3

My first CNC table was built over 7 months in 1994 and was entirely homebuilt from scavenged parts and first design principles. When it was complete it ran under DOS, used Borland Turbo Basic and DesignCAD 2D. I had a small sign business going for a few years. Largest piece was 34" x 44" and a vertical Z axis travel capability of 3". It had a lot of, er, wiggle room since it was made of wood ( gantry, table, etc ) and an accuracy of about 1/8" and a repeatability of about 1/4". This gave results that always looked hand made rather than machine made which I told myself added "charm" to the product.

In 2005 I bought an Applied Robotics Torchmate Kit and adapted it for wood routing. I built a 4ft x 8ft workpiece table whose frame was of wood and was 5ft x 8ft x 12ft. The whole thing weighed 1100 pounds and sat on four sheets of plywood as a footprint in a small tent. Accuracy and repeatability was about 1/8" which was good for the sheets of plywood this worked on and I tried to make signs for folks, their ranches and such. But we had a horse ranch ourselves then and I spent more time taking care of 14 horses and the ranch work than making signs. A few months ago we sold the ranch and I diced up the table with a chain saw but kept the hardware and we moved down from the hill into town.

Just 2 months ago I began building my third table ( I now have a garage ) and this one is going to be fitted with a J48-1 laser. I can already do some pyroplotting using hot points and irons ( an art form I'm interested in ) and will use the laser for that and other marking also. I've made tooling fixtures to handle an electric engraver, am adding a pneumatic scriber, have a dremel drill and am also using it to do art works via metallic ink pens. This table has water and air lines, air extraction, a USB camera, safety interlocks and runs a lot quieter than the 2HP router used to. The table is driven with XP Pro running on a WIFI network so that I can create my artworks upstairs on my big CAD systems. I can even run the table as an E Size plotter.

My wife is a fine artist and has talent, as do both daughters, but I do not so my table is my talent amplifier and with it I can do things that as an artist I could not. This table has an active working area of 36" by 48" and a Z travel of 3". The base is now made of faux wood deck components which are more rigid than 4 x 4's - seems I can't quite get away from wood entirely - and the platform is metal clad wood also. I have a lot of fancy software now, such as Engravelab Laser Pro, AutoCAD 2000, BobCAD and Corel, none of it home brew, and now spend more time doing things than designing code to be able to do things which works for me. Just discovered this forum a few days ago - looks like a great community here - and I thought I'd add my own story.

Thanks for reading and I hope you found it interesting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails apr13_08.jpg   apr13_06.jpg   Cropped Table.jpg   P1020729.JPG  

P1050366.JPG   Fig 1.jpg  

Welcome Wtawtaw, youv'e found right the place to be! Your participation is appreciated. Keep up the pictures and posts!
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

finished my cnc router

finished my cnc router last year and now it is cutting the new pieces to replace my old cnc router :violin:

built a chain drive cnc torch. I have now revamped the machine as spur gear propelled, able to run plasma or oxyfuel.I am using it to build parts for a BIG cnc plasma that will dwarf my last table, both in size and quality. I am building this at my shop I keep on the side.
    On top of that, I have a cnc router I am building at my full time job, as I have a small garage shop there, and my run of the place, especially late in the evening. Thank God I have a great understanding boss, who is a bit of a tinkerer himself.
    As soon as I can find a fellow Zoner ready to unload a small mill or lathe on me, I will convert it to!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

99% done, 50% to go, I'm hoping to have the electron's flowing in the next couple weeks. Almost all the mechanical parts are done, just attaching the rack's for the drives and install the rest of the Z axis parts when they arrive [later this week]

Gantry mill, 20 x 10 x 4 [ft]

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't

How do you change your vote. I finished my 3rd CNC conversion and am starting on my 4th. In a few months I have to get rid of my CNC Bridgeport J-head to make room for my latest conversion.

Vince

Just finished it and cut my first piece last night . Will try to take pictures tonight.
    If you cut it to small you can always nail another piece on the end, but if you cut it to big... then what the hell you gonna do?

Steven

Finished mine a year and a half ago.... cut the first pieces last weekend.:cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
    I think I can say I am finally finished my first machine. There always may be minor changes or upgrades that I may want to do but as it sits now I am quite content to say it is done and look forward to making lots of saw dust.

For my next project I would like to do a full size mill or lathe conversion but right now I just don't have the money to invest in such a venture. I am keeping my eyes out for a Bridgeport series 1 manual mill, but finding one locally in Ontario for a reasonable price is hard to come by.

Carl
    Nice looking machine!
    Do you have a worklog on here that I could look at?

Finished one Hafco AL-50G 9X20 LAthe,
    One X3, Nearly one Hafco My-T-Mill,
    Doing a 1960 Boring machine.

When do you think is a selfbuilt machine called finsihed ... Ok mine is ready to produce but I have still so many ideas in backup.....

Hansjoerg
    Why reach for speed, when you could have precision instead!!!

finished one and now working to speed the feedrate up.

Hi All
    I'm a newbee and just finished my 'Profiler' CNC machine from Colindus. Looks greatand works fine. Next I need to find some more software. The included soft is designed for for the creation of print circuit boards. I am looking for a test version of RAMS3D, but for the moment the download link is unavailable, so if anyone has a hint ... just post it!

Thanks

Did 2 Sieg x2 conversions ealier this year. Built a 24x24x6 milling machine from scratch with THK everything, no going back now.

Big project!

Page 6 of 8 45678