584,841 active members*
4,530 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > Polls > Have you finished a cnc machine?

View Poll Results: How many CNC Machines have you finished?

Voters
1148. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not planning on building a cnc machine.

24 2.09%
  • Still planning 1st cnc machine.

280 24.39%
  • Building 1st cnc machine, but it's not done.

313 27.26%
  • Finished 1 cnc machine.

339 29.53%
  • Finished 2 cnc machines.

100 8.71%
  • Finished more than 2 cnc machines.

92 8.01%
Page 1 of 8 123

Have you finished a cnc machine?

Was just wondering how many people here had finished at least one cnc machine, and how many haven't.

Finished one, Modified one, using both, planning a third.

Marv

my router is almost done.

got the pieces, m/c is "mocked up" and ready to be built, now if i can only find the build time.....
    menomana

Don't know if it counts but I'm almost finished my Retrofit !

Done two from scratch. Maybe a lathe retro next..but that doesn't count cause you didn't ask....

Eric
    I wish it wouldn't crash.

Finished, but no limit homing switches. It probably never will het them either.
    Being outside the square !!!

Finished one Cranky design & working on a second one that is being created from many different ideas that I have seen at CncZone.

Bob

Finished 1 then redesigned and made some big changes - so seems like 2!
    Next one in progress - a dedicated desktop (smallish) 3 axis digitizer with a moving table - fixed gantry. Using many recycled components.
    Am thinking of using all of the controller cards and motors eventually in a 6 axis - this is a slippery slope!
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Up and running. Plan to upgrade to servo's. Hope I can make it my full time job someday.
    Bill

Built at least six at home... plus I worked for years as an automated machine designer for automotive electronics testing and assembly... three maybe four machines per year.

Lots
    embrace enthusiasm to accomplish the task
    Gary Davies... www.durhamrobotics.com

One finished, the other will be finished TODAY!!!
    co

My biggest challenge was to CNC a 35ft bed - two 30hp spindle head Gray Planer/Mill built 1952. Customer bought it to plane/mill rail switch points. Cost of retrofit $100,000.00 replacement cost $1.5mil.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Finished but in a constant state of modification...

Garry

Building my first one from ideas generated entirely from this site. Cheap as possible for the first try. MDF, drawer slides, threaded rod, etc. Doing the mechanical first, though as electronics will end up being the biggest expense. Having a fun first go at it, though.

I just purchase some complete axis on e-bay for my first project:

But I have to find the spec of the stepper that was on it before choosing the rest of the electronic for it.... If someone could help me .... this is the post I made for a pic of the stepper:

******** My Mysterious Stepper **********

Ron

why do you ask?
    I know from personal experience on trying to complete my 1st machine that the process seems endless at times.
    Gestation process before birth of new baby
    1. you think ,What a great idea I'm sure I can build one myself in a jiffy!
    2. You sart reading and reading and reading, at least a few months worth for the cnc illiterate.
    3.Baby blues set in for a few weeks. There is sooooo much info
    4.Some kind soul on the zone answers your stupid questions with patience and understanding of a kindred spirit.
    5. the blues are gone!
    6. You are in a frenzy of shopping and ordering. Bidding on e-bay for the perfect part only to be told on the zone that that part is not so perfect and you pray you are out bid!
    7. Your parts arrive! Eureka!
    8.You have all intensions of starting to build right away.
    9.only to discover the connection you have for machining the ends of the screws is on holiday in Knysna for 3 weeks! your full time employer wants you to spend every waking moment at the office for the next month.
    10. you shed a few tears on the box you pack your parts into, you abandon your baby for a few heart wrenching weeks.
    11. In the mean time you again read research and weep at you lack of knowledge of electonics.
    12. JIPPEE overtime has been paid and you blow it all on elecrtonics!
    13. You happily etch, solder and plug it all in to test.
    14. Only to watch it all GO UP IN SMOKE!
    15 This is where I am in the process at the moment I will now return to the zone for further inspiration and give my blistered fingers an ego time to heal.

The system I'm building is like 95% finished. All I need to finish is the X drive gear. and a Z axis on the stationary arch. The thing I just got a little while ago and is killing me because of the things I could do. is I got some converters if you will? a solid worm gear unit from some big machines at the local electronics redemption place. there 100/1 turn worm gear units which are VERY tight. I got 2 of them so I'm thinking of using one as a turning unit. and the other as a Z axis tilt. There not very heavy but I'm trying to figur out how I could do that??? I just cant wait till i finish the 3 axis thing. Its no high power but it should be able to build things that could make me money. I'm thinking like custom costers out of balsa wood or what have you. I bet a lot of businesses would love to have them built. I figur I could make X number at a time from one peice of balsa costing me like ? $2. then could sell them for a buck a peice or so. They'd prob sell them for like $5-10 each .

I have built 2 and a half machines, but still never wired or run one myself (one was for some friends, the other was for selling to make some quick cash). One thing that I have found, even without using one yet, is that the size that I actually need, is a lot smaller than what I thought. If my wife ever stops making me build things for her, and leaves me alone even for a weekend, I might finally be able to build and run one myself! Building a chicken coup right now, so...gotta go!
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I have built one CNC router, small one cuts balsa and engraves plastic etc., One CNC hot wire Foam cutter(designed and built from scratch), Just finishing a semi- automated Band Saw conversion, Started on a second larger Router for cutting and carving stone, wood and mild steel.

Page 1 of 8 123