585,926 active members*
3,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Alibre to DXF?

I am missing something?!? I've made a part in Alibre and now want to save it as a DXF to import into SheetCAM.

When I choose file / export, I see lots of options (STP, IGS, STL) but not DXF! I must be missing something...
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

I just found this on the Alibre forum - http://www.alibre.com/xpress/forum/v...&highlight=dxf

I've attached my model. Is this really "3d"? I've only drilled holes & two circles. It will definitely only require 2.5d for my mill movement. Shouldn't I be able to export this type of file into a 2.5d CAM (e.g. Sheetcam) and mill?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JWS Part 1.jpg  
    Tormach PCNC 1100, SprutCAM, Alibre CAD

What you do is create a Alibre drawing of the part, and then you can save/export is a DXF. You can only export "parts" as 3D files, and drawing 's can be exported as 2D files. Or at least that is how I see it.

Herb,
    Thanks for the Height Gauge information.
    Donald

Alibre only exports 2D dxf files. You must create a new drawing (empty template selection is easiest in this case.

When creating the drawing turn off all dimensions and hole callouts so all you get is plain features.

While on this topic!!

Does Alibre create Text for engraving on a surface?????? I have not have a chance to look or experiment yet. Too busy trying to get good at the modeling basics. LOL, I have to find a way to create surfaces too. Maybe these are in the Alibre Tool website that you sent Tjones.:rainfro:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

A person by the name of Alex Franke has an addon for Alibre to convert text for solid modeling. Very nice program and the price is great.

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    A person by the name of Alex Franke has an addon for Alibre to convert text for solid modeling. Very nice program and the price is great.
    Looks like I have a lot more to brush up on, LOL In time
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com