585,932 active members*
3,711 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Projection

Projection

Hello there,

I'm completely new to Mastercam.

I did a cylindric surface and want to (map) project (unroll) it on a 2d plane. Is that possible with Mastercam V9?

Thanks
    -Frank

BTW: Is is possible to convert a surface to it's entities (arcs, lines, etc)?

BTW: Is is possible to convert a surface to it's entities (arcs, lines, etc)?

Yes.. create - curves - all edges.

As for unroll to 2d not sure exactly what you mean ?

There is a function called Xform roll. I have never needed it but from what I read in the help files, it seems like it will roll OR unroll wireframe geometry (lines, arcs, splines)...

It does not appear to work with surfaces.

I think if you apply "create curves all edges" to the surface, then unroll it, you should end up with planar wireframe geometry...

If you post a file up here I can play with it this weekend...

Is it just a cylindrical surface or is there more details involved ?

Because really, if it was just a simple cylinder, you could figure out the circumference and re-create it much more easily than unrolling...

Thanks Dave your tip about converting works for me.

About unrolling: I want to get the development drawing for lets say a cylinder. Is that possible?

Are you saying you're trying to make a blueprint for people working in the shop ?

If that is the case, Mastercam can make fairly decent prints from solid entities but it requires the solid package on your hasp.

The function is called "solid layout".

Solid layout does not help with surfaces. If you cannot create or get your hands on a solid model, you'll have to draw the 2-d blueprints manually...

Or I suppose if you were to :

1. create curve all edges

2. Xform project all of the curves to a plane

then I suppose you would have sort-of what you are looking for...

Unfortunately, you will also have lots of overlapping entities which could cause problems if you tried to create toolpaths, etc...

Foo,
    There is a c-hook called Flattensurf.dll Hit Alt C on the key board, in the list you will see it. This c-hok will flatten a surface to the view your in then you can create curves his is a good tool if this s something you are looking for.
    Steve
    www.cad2cam.net
    www.cad2cam.net
    Programmer/ Certified Cam Instructor

Hello Everyone,

I just attached the file I'm working on right now. Maybe you guys want to have a look on this one.

I made a solid (level 2) and from the solid a surface (level 3). What I want to achieve is to "flatten the surface" so I can have a look how the radius at the face becomes a curve.

Actually it's all about the radius on the face. I want to generate a toolpath for a lathe with a C-axis to deburr the radius on the face with a 45°C chamfer tool but as a total beginner I have no idea how to achieve it.

Steve I tried the C-hook and I can flatten the surface but unfortunately my "radius" vanishes but I'll play with it later again. Maybe I did something wrong.

Thanks Matt for the tip with the blueprint.

-Frank

PS: Thanks for so much help
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: zip X.zip (7.2 KB, 86 views)

review my file at the Green profile is this what you want.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Nope that's not what I want but thank you anyway. Btw how did you do that?

-Frank

PS: I could manage to get the toolpath so basically I got what I originally wanted to achieve. Thank's for your help guys.

I would say you want what i did if the surface was as I will put it a piece of sheet metal and before it is formed, what will it look like flat and then get the edge from that. Am on the right thought?

Cadcam
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Oh and I forgot, I used Squash to do what I did in the file.
    Cadcam

Yep like you have a sheet metal formed like a zylinder. Then you work on that cylinder (make holes in it or whatever) and when you're done you cut it open and make it flat.

Thanks
    Frank

Well I sorry mastercam does not have a tool for working with the bends and allownces of Sheet metal. Like what was stated before we have the tool called
    Flattensurf.dll that is about close as you are going to get with MC right now.
    Cadcam