584,319 active members*
6,094 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DeskCNC: need help!

Hello all,

I am new in this forum. I have a problem with deskCNC software. I'm going to explain what I want to do and what is my problem:

- I want to make a part in a CNC machine using deskCNC. I have a CNC machine with 2 axis.

Here is what I done:
    - I Drawn a part with ProEngineer
    - I saved the part as .stl file (is STL file is good?)
    - In DeskCNC: File/Open STL/Open STL
    - Toolpaths/create/Machine. Then Toolpath/Run Machine/Saved
    - I can jog the machine (X and Y axis) exept is the velocity is too high. In this case I can jog only once.
    - When I click on "Go" button, the machine runs and stops after a few seconds. The X and Y axis move in the same time. When I change the velocity and the acceleration, the machine runs more or less longer. Why does the machine stops?

Please, can you help me, I am a beginner with this software.
    Thank you very much for your answers!

Regards

Florian

it sounds to me like your drives are faulting , I would greatly reduce the max speed and see if that helps. you might have better luck initialy try to generate your tool paths from .dxf files , also make sure all the parameters are correct , like spindle speed depth of cut and feed rates for the material and tool combination

The first thing you need to do is to set your maximum speeds and acceleration profiles according to the servos and encoders you are using. As an example, lets say your servo motors are capable of 2000 rpm with the power supply voltage you are using. Your encoders are 500 line so you have X4 or 2000 encoder pulses per motor revolution, your lead screws are 10 turns per inch and your beld drive reduction ratio is 2 : 1, The maximum steps per second is 2000 rpm x 2000 steps per rev. / 60sec = 66,666 steps per second. Your maximum velocity shoulrd be set at about 90% of this or 60,000 steps per second. your steps per inch should be set to 2000 steps per motor rev x 10 tpi lead screw x 2 belt ratio = 40,000 steps per inch.

All this info is on the deskcnc web site. download the setup instructions and follow them.
    Set the post processor to ISO G Code in the options menu, save your drawings as dxf files then convert them to g code,