585,762 active members*
4,185 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

10T Overtravel

Hello!

I'm having some troubles with our early model Mori Lathe w/ Fanuc 10t control.
    I'm getting an z+ overtravel alarm and I changed the setting to canel overtravel alarm on startup. I'm able to zero the machine and acualy run the program but It will not jog on the z-, it will on the z+.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

TIA
    Grease

Did you try holding the 'P' and Cancel button whilst powering up, this cancels the stored stroke limit on most, I don't recall doing it on a 10 though.
    Or set the software OT limits to a large value e.g. 9999999 & -9999999 etc.
    Al.b
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Jog problem

On a 10M, I seem to remember that you have to boot to IPL mode, select check OT on power up to NO. This allows you to reference and then work normally. Setting only modal for your next power on. There is also a parameter you can cycle to a 0 then back to a 1 which tells the system the reference return is valid. I will watch this post, and if you are still having problems will check my van to see if I have the info.
    gem

I changed the OT to "no" on power up and was then able to zero machine and actually run the installed program. The problem is that I can only jog in z+ not z-.

Any suggestions?

Grease

Do you get a message?
    Can you MDI in both directions?
    Maybe the stroke limit needs changing, do you have the maintenance manual?
    Al.

Albert E.

No message.
    Yes, I can MDI in both dir. on Z.
    Yes, I have a Manuel. But I am having a hell of a time deciphering how to change the stored stroke limit.
    To me the Manuel seems to be written in drunken English.

Jog Fault

If you can send it both ways on MDI, can you wind it both ways on handwheel ?, rapid both ways as opposed to jog ?, I would suggest finding the diagnostic page showing the keypad inputs, and check the possibility that the keypad might be faulty. I do not have a 10 book with me so I am afraid this is all I can come up with at the moment.
    Regards
    gem

No rapid or jog in Z-, only Z+.

Jog

Site very slow today, it certainly seems that all is ok except when using the keys. I would certainly go for checking diagnostics for the keypad, it will certainly confirm or dispel the faulty keypad theory.

gem

I cant see much in the ladder that would prevent the jog in one direction?
    It appears that it might be related to the jog function itself, rather than a parameter etc if you can MDI or HW it, it is probabally not a SW OT limit.
    As GEM mentioned, I would look first at the Inputs on the diagnostic page, if you see the one that is working by triggering the switch, the chances are the other input is next to it.
    Al.

Albert E.

There's a separate X & Z toggle switch to use with the hand wheel. This is totally different procedure than the one used for rapid & jog which uses the Z- & Z+ buttons. I will check into a faulty button/switch but with the above info. I believe the problem might be elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by grease View Post
    I believe the problem might be elsewhere.
    If you can display the ladder and look for the respective G register values that are passed over to the CNC in the jog rung, you can see exactly if this is on the PMC side or the CNC side.
    The G register bits are dedicated bits sent to the CNC, I could look them up if you need to pursue this method.
    Al.

Albert E.

First off I would like to say thanks for all the help and future help.

Al, I definitely would like to pursue this. The problem is that I believe I’ve reach my end of experience. So if you can walk me thru what needs to be done I would greatly appreciate it.

Grease

Al, I check the pcdgm and G0003 BIT 0 & 1 turn on when I push the related switch.

Quote Originally Posted by grease View Post
    Al, I check the pcdgm and G0003 BIT 0 & 1 turn on when I push the related switch.
    It sound like the switch is working.
    I only have one manual here at the moment for the 10, but it appears to show P65,69,73 bits 1&2 for the respective jogs.
    I have not worked on the 10 for a while so I am a bit rusty.
    Do you have the I/O listing? You could look up the input Xxxx.x for the switch and then if you call up the ladder, you should have a button on the keypad at top right which is labeled somthing like NC/PMC or similar. pushing this will call up the ladder and if you do a search for the jog switch X input NO contact
    (-I I-)you should find the rung, If it has a G value as the output coil then it should be the one you are looking for.
    Push the jog switch and see of part or all of the rung highlights, if it does not highlight the G coil, then you can see where the problem is.
    If the G highlights then it is in the CNC side (parameter etc).
    BTW , I show parameters 5200~5225 for the stored stroke limits and 5210 0&1 for S.Stroke ignore.
    Al.

Albert E.

Jogging

Back to basics, I notice that you have not said what happened prior to this problem occuring. This info might be key to solving your current problem.
    Regards
    gem

how it started

The problem started when I tried to zero the machine. X zeroed fine but I got an overtravel (soft) for the Z. I thought no big deal we get them often when Zeroing, but this time the alarm would no clear. From then on I could not get it to jog in the Z- direction.
    So, I powered down and hand cranked the ball screw to clear the limit switches then pressed "- & ." on power up and changed the check OT on startup to N.
    I was able to zero the Z, and run the program and MDI the Z in both directions but still can not jog or rapid in Z-.

ladder

Al, I believe I found the it.
    In the ladder it has Y005.1---R006.5-------G003.1.
    When I push the Z- button the Y005.1 thru G003.1 highlights, R006.5 was alread highlighted.

Now we check parameters?

The R6.5 is a temporary storage bit for some PLC function, it sounds like you eliminated the PB, so it does point to software setting or parameter.
    Have you checked the content of the 5200's as above?
    Al.

Albert E.

parameters

Yes and they read as follows;

Z 00000011

5220 LIMIT 1+
    Z 23750

5221 LIMIT 1-
    X -47120
    Z -476250