585,996 active members*
4,171 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Old thermwood router

I have seen several people take old iron metalworking mills and retrofit them with new controls and have great success with them. I am curious as to how well the same approach would work for old cnc routers. For example, I stumbled across an ad for a 1986 Thermwood C50 Cartesian 5 router. It is discribed as a parts machine, but what I am wondering is if the thing is in decent shape, could one retrofit it with newer servo's and a pc based controller or is it out of the question? I am interested in a big router and a project. Kind of like restoring an old car in my mind, but it would be a router.

Also, does anyone know if the old controller could be upgraded to work with Thermwoods Ecabinet systems software?

Are parts obtainable for items this old?

Price is good. I think I could send it to the scrap yard and get my money back (well not quite) but it is appealing.

Comments, suggestions, input, etc.?

Thanks Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

1986 is a pretty old machine. A quick call to Thermwood would tell you if parts were available.

I doubt you could upgrade the old control to work with eCabinet software.

I don't know how complex the control in that is, but you could always rip everything out and build a Mach3 based control, or one of the more expensive controls. I'd think the important thing is that the screws and linear rails are in good condition. Motors and electronics are relatively easy to replace. The big ticket item would probably be the spindle, which I'm assuming is missing or in need of major repair/ replacement.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Worth checking into

The machine is a dual head with 1 spindle missing, the other present (working condition not indicated) and also comes with the vacuum pump (again condition not indicated). Assuming the worst, as long as the table is still square, the price is worth it.

One of the biggest things I do not like is the fact that it is 480 3 phase. Hopefully it would be convertable to 240 3 phase. Wouldn't know with out investigating.

Still would like to here someone with comments on replacing or upgrading the servos.

Any idea on the weight for this thing? Guessing 10000lbs at least.

Thanks

Dan

Hack, did you ever follow through on this? The reason I ask is I'm seeing a Thermwood Cartesian 5 from the mid-80s priced at $200 and I'm wondering about a conversion as well.

BTW, first post.

Thanks.

-Scott

Sorry, but no.

Sorry, but no I didn't. The machine was located a couple thousand miles away and between the cost of the shipping and the riggers at both ends, the electrical hook up and on and on and on, I decided not to part with the cash. Still an interesting project.

One other thing that kinda kept me from moving on this was that I emailed thermwood a couple of times with questions, and did not receive any replies. Now I know I could have called them, but wasn't trying that hard. They might not support anything that old, but a reply sure would of been nice.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Hack View Post
    Sorry, but no I didn't. The machine was located a couple thousand miles away and between the cost of the shipping and the riggers at both ends, the electrical hook up and on and on and on, I decided not to part with the cash. Still an interesting project.

One other thing that kinda kept me from moving on this was that I emailed thermwood a couple of times with questions, and did not receive any replies. Now I know I could have called them, but wasn't trying that hard. They might not support anything that old, but a reply sure would of been nice.

Dan
    Thermwood is usually very good about returning emails. What email address did you use??? I'm only asking because I've always had good dealings with Thermwood. As far as the older Cartesian machines go, If it is stepper driven then you will need to replace the drives. Thermwood stepper drives are proprietary and use a different type of signal than modern step and direction drives. The majority of the mechanical parts are Thompson(?) bearings and ball nuts. Some Timkins are used for the leadscrew support blocks. All in all, Thermwood will support the older machines with the original controller, IF POSSIBLE. There are parts that they just cannot get anymore..