584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach Turn with Phoenix Lathe

I recently purchased this Phoenix CNC lathe. It does not have the original software and I was wondering how much trouble would it be to run Mach Turn? It has stepper motors on the X and Z axis. There is a control box mounted beneath the lathe that houses the power supply and driver board for the steppers. I could not find any distinguishing markings on anything but the motors. The motors are marked, Digital Motors, Inc., HY200-2240-290A8, 2.9A/Ph, 200 S/Rev. I will try to get some photos posted soon to help with discussion. This seems like a great machine and I really want to get it up and running. Any help would be appreciated.

Brian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5dc4_1.jpg   6acb_1.jpg   85b5_1.jpg  

Nice Score

Looks like a really nice candidate for Mach, the mechanicals are all CNC ready. Your also off to a great start with pics, keep them coming and the audience and contributors will stay tuned. Good Luck.

Stepper Motor Wiring

This lathe has two 8 wire stepper motors that dive the X and Z axes. The motors have a part number, manufacturer and 2.9A/phase marked on them. I have searched for the motors and the company with no luck. Now for my question. How can I determine power requirements and the wiring for these motors without any additional info?

I had the pc and software for this lathe. I didn't get any takers on the pc, so I scrapped it.
    What a shame. I acquired the control at an auction at the Connelly trade school in Pittsburgh PA. The control belonged to the lathe, but was sold with my router. Auctioneers, go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by bkkpool View Post
    This lathe has two 8 wire stepper motors that dive the X and Z axes. The motors have a part number, manufacturer and 2.9A/phase marked on them. I have searched for the motors and the company with no luck. Now for my question. How can I determine power requirements and the wiring for these motors without any additional info?
    Check out the PDF files on Geckos site. 2.9A is well within the Gecko capability. Eight wire motors can be wired bipolar series or parallel (for the Gecko) as well as unipolar (but not with Gecko) and run by Mach3 quite nicely.

Fancy rig, I'm jealous! =D