584,826 active members*
5,118 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Techno cnc Lathe

Hi all.
    Our school just purchased a new techno CNC Lathe. After using it enough to become familliar with it's capabilities I am rather dissapointed with the techno control software. It only supports IN/MIN & RPM and is rather limited in the number of standard codes it recognizes. Also it is difficult to adjust mid program to get accurate diameters. I was wondering if Mach 3 would run this lathe and if so how do I go about changing over? The Techno runs off a special card in the pc with a cable similar to a printer cable but with 50 pins. I currently use Mach 3 mill on a Tormach PCNC1100 in my classroom. I think the consistency of having both machines running Mach controllers would be very helpful to both students and myself. I am a CNC rookie and would greatly appreciate any advise.

Thanks,
    Dave

Re: Techno cnc Lathe

Zombie thread!

Any updates on this?
    I just bought a used Techno lathe complete less PCI card.
    That card is $550 new, which is probably less than a proper conversion would run.
    Are there any used PCI cards out there left over from converted machines?

Otherwise, how did you do the conversion ..... way back in '07

Just replace the motors, motor drives, power supply and break outboard to get Mach 3 compatibility.

I've never done a lathe but I have converted a few routers including a stepper techno davinci.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

I realize that is an option, and the one most used.
    Right now I have a small mill, and a lathe in that process, but neither is completed, and I have yet to own a working CNC machine. This is strictly a low-budget hobby thing for me, and a learning experience.

If I can get this one working just by obtaining a PCI card, that's the quickest, simplest way to get it going. It might be limited, and I might have to upgrade to get more functionality, but right now I'd just like to see the spindle turn and the axes move before starting a conversion.
    Call it a confidence-builder.

The only people that I know that would have a card would be ArmorCNC. I think that bought all the old Techno stock before techno closed their doors.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Really? Techno's site is up, and they have answered questions.
    I think it was sold a few years back, but they do appear to be in business.

AR1911 I wouldn't waste your money or time on a PCI card. The Techno lathe turned out to be a total piece of junk! After many hours of trying unsuccessfully to get it to work I convinced Techno to send me a new lathe. The new lathe was also non functional. I angrily returned the second lathe and purchased an Ajax with Centroid controller from Forrest Scientific. I am very happy with the Ajax lathe. I have spoken to several Tech Ed teachers I met at a conference who had the exact same experience with the Techno. I have converted a Spectralite lathe and a Shopbot router to Mach 3. I highly recommend that approach for your Techno Lathe.

Your right they still are in business but not the same as before. Now they hawk Chinese junk instead of the good German/American parts and designs they used to sell.

ArmorCNC quoted me $850 (!) for a PCI card. Not gonna happen.

Looks like a conversion is going to be the only sensible route. I like the idea of retaining the servo drives, but I'm not seeing many driver choices, and they are expensive. Any suggestions there?
    I also can't find anything on the servos, except that I have a pinout for the connectors to the main board. They are marked as 50 oz-in, which seems pretty light for theis size machine. Everyone says go to steppers, but that seems like a step backwards. (no pum intended)

As for the quality, while this appears to use Chinese 9x20 parts for the bed, cross slide and tailstock, possible the spindle. the balance of the machine appears to be well-made from good componenets - US-made servos, Baldor 3-ph motor, quality VFD etc.

That is about the same price I bought mine for about 7+ years ago directly from techno. I bought a lc4896 super cheap with out the card.

My lc4896 uses the same servos! They don't seem powerful on paper, but I have broken quite a few 1/2" shank bits with their combination of servos and ball screws!

Servo drives are expensive compared to stepper drives and require tuning to the servos. How is the rotational motor powered and rpm's measured?

The rotational motor is a Baldor 3.4 HP 3-phase 230V powered by a 115V VFD.
    There is a speed sensor/encoder of some sort

Techno says they have the PCI cards in stock for $550.

Jump on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Pplug View Post
    Jump on that!

Well, when I read that others dump the OE software because it's limited, I'm hesitant to invest in the hardware to run it. If the card were half that, I'd do it.
    I think the correct course for me is to change to steppers and use Mach3 or EMC. But I'll pursue some other projects and see if a PCI card turns up. In the meantime I'll try to figure out what drivers etc I want to use.

I do appreciate all the input, and more is welcome

Rex

Did you by chance pick this up in the DFW area?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by zamazz View Post
    Did you by chance pick this up in the DFW area?
    Yes I did. It has been on CL for months

I was planning on looking at it last Sunday, but you got there before me. That single board set up scared me though, so I wasn't going to offer much. If it had individual servo drives it would be much easier to retrofit.

Good luck with whatever route you take. I'm partial to mesa boards and Linuxcnc if you decide to retrofit. If you're near Dallas and ever need help let me know.

Do you know what voltage the servos are?

Zamazz, the seller told me he had someone coming the next day, I guess that was you. I made an offer and was prepared to walk away and wish him luck with the next guy, but he took my offer.

Frankly, I'm a little bit over my head with this stuff. I have two other CNC retrofits that are unfinished. One is complete but not working - may just be a software setup issue. I'd love to have someone more knowledgable than me look over what I'm doing. But my shop is in Azle, which is a pretty good hike from Dallas.

What about this plan:

2 - Gekko G320X servo drives to run the OE servos
    1 - BOB - CNC4PC probably, but I may try one of the $15 imports first.
    1 - 24V (?) Power supply for the servos. (doublecheck requirements)
    1 - 5V & 12V Power supply for the electronics.

Yes, Azle is quite a drive.

What are you running for control software? You should verify that the motors have encoders and not resolvers, since I believe the g320 drives only work with encoders. Also, don't forget the spindle encoder. I also wouldn't waste my time with a Chinese breakout board. Erratic electrical issues are the worst to troubleshoot.

Page 1 of 3 123