584,863 active members*
4,838 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > write protected

write protected

Hi Guys,

I'm using Autocad 2000 Li and I've just had to do a complete re-install on the PC because of a very bad virus. Before doing this I saved all my work by burning it onto a CD from my documents which is where I save all my drawings as well as letters, invoices etc.

When I came to put them back into my documents off the CD they were all "read only" drawings. Also If I do any work on these drawings and try to save it they are all "write protected".

How can I resolve this. There is about five years work in this little lot and I don't want to loose it all.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I don't know about windoze XP but previous versions allowed you to change the properties of files by right clicking the file name and clicking properties. Next choose the desired attributes by clicking or unclicking the checkboxes.

HTH regards Gary

ps I think that in XP you have to have administrative rights
    embrace enthusiasm to accomplish the task
    Gary Davies... www.durhamrobotics.com

CD's are readonly devices so the file attribute was changed to Read only when they were written to the CD. It can be changed back easily.

One file at a time method: (assuming you are right handed, and all the files are copied back onto the harddrive.)
    Using your mouse left click on the file you want to change from read only. Only click once. The filename will be highlighted and turn blue. Now press the right mouse button, a toolbox will show up. At the bottom of the box find the text Properties. Left click on Properties. Another new toolbox will pop up. You will notice that at the bottom of this toolbox a little check box call Read Only is checked. Left click to turn the Read Only attribute off. Close the toolbox and this file has can be Read and Written as normal.

You can do multiple files at a time by Left clicking on the first file, then press and hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard and Left click on the other files you want to include. Once all the files have been selected, do a right click of the mouse, Properties, etc.

Cheers

Another way around this would be to save the file to the hard drive with a slightly different name using
    "saveas". For example: drawing1.dwg (write protected) becomes drawing2.dwg

Brian

If all the files are in one directory, open a DOS window (command prompt), go to the directory the drawings (or any other files) are in and type:
    attrib -R *.*
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Guys,

I managed to sort it out in the end. Just changed the attributes by unchecking the read only box so thanks for the help. I could do all of the files at the same time by selecting them all together then going properties etc. Everything is now back to normal so I'm happy again.

All I need to do now is find the mo'fo' who created the virus in the first place and my life will be complete. Don't suppose any of you can help with this one.

Many thanks,

Steve.