585,748 active members*
3,673 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: serial port

serial port

Now that I have the frame at paint shop, I have to buy the laptop or PC for the cnc, but i have a problem, the conection to pc is by serial port, new pc's dont have it, someone tell me to get a converter card to usb, anyone knows if it will work?

Yes it should work. You can, I believe still buy PCI based serial ports, which may be cheaper than the USB option.

Either way I'm sure one of these will work for you.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    Now that I have the frame at paint shop, I have to buy the laptop or PC for the cnc, but i have a problem, the conection to pc is by serial port, new pc's dont have it, someone tell me to get a converter card to usb, anyone knows if it will work?
    I've read a lot of stuff that indicates a usb to serial for cnc imput output isn't really the way to go. For that matter neither is a laptop.

Are you sure it's serial you need? My setup uses 2 parallel ports.

Some say it will work others say not. If I tried it it would be a big fat NOT.

I know I tried using a desktop Vista. I was making progress. but it was driving me crazy. So I went with a P4 XP Pro. Everything has worked with it great.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

Hi Millman, I have the keling 4030 package, this card uses the same connection for the old printers, is that serial or parallel port? Keling sells a card to convert to usb,
    I'm also using XP,
    Luis

Quote Originally Posted by lamicron View Post
    Hi Millman, I have the keling 4030 package, this card uses the same connection for the old printers, is that serial or parallel port? Keling sells a card to convert to usb,
    I'm also using XP,
    Luis

I looked at the Keling site It's looks like a parallel connection.

I really have no idea if a ad on PCI slot Parallel card would be any better than the one that is usually integrated to the motherboard.

Most of the ad ons claim to be about 3 times faster than the integrated ones.

You might post that question somewhere here on the Zone.

My set up uses 2 parallel ports. I think thats because of the THC1000 though.

Just a thought.
    If it works.....Don't fix it!

just a thought but why buy a new desktop. buy used that already has a serial port. ebay has several sellers that refurb end of lease turn in's. just a thought.

Yes, I used an old one, the problem is that I make the machines to sale, then every`part should be new.

this might be cruel but u can get an HP desktop at staples for 299.00us$ i just bought one for a bridgeport and it works just fine. i did have to spend another 12 bucks for a 3.5 floppy ext drive.

good luck

Yes, >I think i have to go for that kind of solution, thanks
    Luis

Talking I think you need a second hand licence!

(LOL):devious:
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.