585,722 active members*
4,247 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

adding camsoft control to an omniturn

We've got an omniturn gangtool lathe.The machine runs great and is very accurate.The one thing I cant stand is the control-it's dos-based and has no macros and very limited cycles.I've been looking at different software and camsoft looks to be the best fit.My question is this: Is it possible and if so how difficult would it be to keep all the same motors,connections, etc. and just replace the omniturn control(monitor,computer,keyboard, and operator panel) with a camsoft package? Are there components that would have to be replaced because of different connector types etc?CNC control/machine interface I know next to nothing about-Please tell me as much as you can.

Thanks

ACE

Mr ACE

I say yes. I keep my customers motors and drives. It was very expensive to change drives for him and much work for me that I did not want to do. Camsoft is best for keeping the original equipment. They have good tech support that will help you do this to you do not know how. They will send someone to you if you ask to help. I think you do not need the same connector. The connector I used has screw down terminal screws that were easy to connect my wires. Ask the tech man ruben for a wiring chart on your motors.

Carlo

Financially, I think you'd be better off selling your Omniturn, they have decent value.

Start with something like this
    http://tinyurl.com/2mg8v2 for your Camsoft machine.

or, if you'd like a turret, get a hardinge CHNC. These machines are common, the steel is excellent and the controls are obsolete.

I'm not sure, but I'd expect some hidden gotchas trying to use Omniturn components on a camsoft refit.

P.S. I have a wonderful Camsoft CHNC

Karl