584,833 active members*
5,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: X2 Options

X2 Options

Hello all! I am converting my X2 in 3ax CNC. I have a few questions:
    1. Is it possible to set up the X2 for rigid tapping?
    2. Does any one know if CNCFusion can supply ball screw/nut assemblies with Nook's precision ground (.001" p/ft.) screws? (I sent a few emails and no reply.)
    3. Did CNC Bridges ever get out any units? How are they? Any pics?
    4. Has anyone used the kit from http://www.thompsonmachine.net/mm2.htm ? (I sent them a few emails as well, with no reply!)
    5. Who has the best stepper/electronics kit? I just want "Plug & Pray". (My electronics talent is pretty much limited to seeing if the bulb is lit after I turn the switch on. I'm a machinist by trade posing as a mild mannered M.E. by day, and entrepreneur by night. I have built several PC's and done some soldering, but short of replacing a wall socket, not much else.)
    6. I want to mill 1018 plate, and 7075 aluminum to +/- .0010" . Is this possible on the X2 CNC?
    Thank you all in advance for your tips and advice!

wocowski

A lot of that is difficult to answer. Subjective experience is always best with these sort of questions.

The best stepper/board KIT that I know of is a xylotex. There are likely many other, more expensive kits available that could be thought of as better.

As far as I know of, CNCBridges has not yet delivered.

I've milled with my Manual X2 into the +/-.001 range, but it's a difficult prospect. My machine requires constant attention and re-calibration for those results. Mine is from Harbor Freight. It's possible that some with X2 machines from Syil or Grizzly are experiencing better and more constant results.

Generally, for those sort of results, you'll want a few machines to do the work. A 50 year old surface grinder would be quite beneficial toward getting extremely flat surfaces without taxing your mill too much.
    My point is that the X2, if used commercially, on steel, should be used as sparingly as possible to promote best reliability.

Dang,

Thank you for your reply!

I am leaning towards Xylotex systems w/269's. I am more than 80% sure that I will be using EMC for Linux on a AMD64 3200+ probably under Xandros.

That is a real shame about CNC Bridges. They have a nice looking product with much potential. I wish them the best, and I will order a kit if it ever gets launched.

I really like Thompson Machines design for the X2. I just can't find out much information on them.

As for rigid tapping, well I guess it's not practical on the X2. I see the options as thread milling (3 axis) or get a hand tapper from Enco.

Thanks again!

wocowski

Yeah, I just looked around and found that Haas Mini Mills can Rigid Tap, but they cost upwards of $20K.
    Now, that's not to say that it's impossible on a mini mill that's reasonably priced. I found this thread that describes a software solution for controlling an upgraded SERVO Z Driver. This isn't a Xylotex, it's likely much more expensive.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28026

Another thing you can do is head over to the Yahoo Xylotex and Mach 3 groups and ask around over there. Someone may have some better information there.

Good luck!

Also

Check the software controller forums here. If there is a solution it'll be through a software/servo/leadscrew combination.

Good luck!

Cool Under Way!

OK! I am on my way!
    I have a Harbor Freight about 10 min. from my work. I got the mill cash and carry. $523.00 with tax. I took it home, unpacked it, ran the motor, moved the slides, then split it into 3 parts.
    I have on order from CNCFusion XY kit with pre-load ball nuts/screws.
    From LMS - Belt drive kit.
    I didn't get the Z axis from CNCFusion yet for a couple of reasons. 1) $ 2) If I go with the kit I will need to move the gib and adjustment screws to the opposite side. This is not a big deal, but I don't have a Bridgeport available, so I need to give some thought to a jig that I can use to transfer the holes over by hand with my DeWalt cordless. I was thinking that I could flip part #63, Spindle Box Seat, 180 deg., would that still be able to accept the Fusion Z kit? The side profile of #63 is like an "L" on it's side. If I flip this then the short leg will be up, and interfere with what ever. Also I don't know how this will effect the Belt Drive Kit.
    :bat:

Oops! I forgot to ask...

Has anyone used these plans http://home.insightbb.com/~joevicar3/cheap_drawbar.htm
    with the Belt drive kit?

Thanks,
    wocowski

It would be interesting to see the plans for that power drawbar. It takes a sharp rap on the end of the drawbolt to remove anything from my spindle. Just loosening the bolt isn't enough.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

before you get to far into ordering a cncbridge unit you may want to check out this thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41023
    Didnt see your thread before but ken at www.kdntool.com offers complete plug & pray packages...but it looks like you may be past that stage now..

good luck with your set up
    www.kosracing.com

Thanks for the link. Too bad for CNC Bridges. I want one of his tables real bad!
    The power drawbar design has a Bimba air cylinder on it which I assume keeps downward pressure on the drawbar. This would then force the R8 taper to loosen and allow the tool to drop from the spindle. The funny thing is the "Kurt Power Drawbar" kit is not much different. How does the Z-Bot system work from LMS? I can't imagine it being any different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pdparts.gif  

Z-bot drawbar uses a set of spring washers stacked to allow up pressure on the collet and also room for downward movement when the cylinder press' the top of the drawbar down. It doesent require a "rapp" on top of the drawbar to free the taper lock because it pushes down. Kind of like if you were to clamp the drawbar to where it couldnt rise as it was loosened it would press the collet down also releasing the taper. There is a good explanation about the whole system on here in the benchtop forum about Hoss' version of the automatic tool changer which includes the powerdrawbar.

Wocowski,

You may want to check out http://www.hossmachine.com
    Hoss has got his X2 Freak doing rigid tapping, along with just about everything else we've mentioned in this thread.

The current version of EMC (2.2) can do rigid tapping. It needs a reversible spindle with an encoder with index pulse.

Here is the announcement in the Axis Blog.

Video 1
    Video 2