0. You may not vote on this poll
  • turret punch

0 0%
  • laser

0 0%
  • something else

0 0%

To fiber laser or punch?

I have a 2 parts, 102mmx115mm, the top and bottom of a metal enclosure. I'm currently cutting them on my CNC machining centre, bending then inserting PEMs. I'm currently making them out of 5005 aluminium. I'm open to switching to steel as well. The top part has 50 x 4mm holes, the bottom part just has a few holes.

Routing them out is producing good parts, but vacuum hold down is a bit unreliable, processing time is high and it generates a lot of mess. I'm currently cutting a little over a 100 tops or bottoms from a sheet.

Should I buy a turret punch or a laser to make these parts? I need to make about 50 a day and I'm looking at either a cheap chinese 1.5-3kw fiber laser, or a used Amada turret punch (Vipros or similar) the Vipros will be around 20k cheaper. I'm not sure which will be faster and produce better parts.

Re: To fiber laser or punch?

In deciding between laser and turret, I'd take a look at what you want to do long term. Turrets are great for repeatability like what you are producing now. If you think you might get more into custom, or lower quantity runs, a laser would be the way to go. Fiber lasers are incredibly fast when compared to old CO2 lasers, but still will not match the speed of a turret. Part geometry and material thickness should also be taken into account - are they just rectangles or are there funky corners? The more complex the part design, the better the laser will fit your needs. With aluminum, if it's a simple part design and no more than about 3mm or so thick, I'd go with the turret.