585,763 active members*
4,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

High Speed Spindles safety

Those with High speed spindles PLEASE be careful with tools. I saw the results of a low speed tool spinning up to 10K and it was not pretty. No one was hurt BUT the shattered tool exited the steel enclosure and when through 2 walls. The operator knew it did not sound right with the spindle reving up and hit the floor then BANG.

I WISH that Tormach would consider adding a maxRPM to the tool table for each tool. Then create the function that PathPilot would respect the maxRPM for each tool. That works well with other controllers and may save someone one day. Yesterday was a close call.

You would not have to MOD the tool table just read the Tool Description and extract out the maxRPM from the description

Tool Description :

.375 EM 2F Carb MaxRPM[5000]

(;-) TP

Quote Originally Posted by vmax549 View Post
    Those with High speed spindles PLEASE be careful with tools. I saw the results of a low speed tool spinning up to 10K and it was not pretty. No one was hurt BUT the shattered tool exited the steel enclosure and when through 2 walls. The operator knew it did not sound right with the spindle reving up and hit the floor then BANG.

I WISH that Tormach would consider adding a maxRPM to the tool table for each tool. Then create the function that PathPilot would respect the maxRPM for each tool. That works well with other controllers and may save someone one day. Yesterday was a close call.

You would not have to MOD the tool table just read the Tool Description and extract out the maxRPM from the description

Tool Description :

.375 EM 2F Carb MaxRPM[5000]

(;-) TP
    A high end solution is use of an accelerometer that uses out of balance data to limit rpm. Example, my Swiss employer had these to protect high speed spindles, if out of balance reached certain vibration presets the spindle would reduce speed and feed hold, if exceeded more than twice, spindle warranty would be voided.

Siemens tool tables include tool speed limits and the post processor could write them into the tool table.

The hardware solution is better than a tool speed limit however. Operator error is always a factor.

Re: High Speed Spindles safety

A few years ago I managed to accidentally spin up my SuperFly to 10000rpm. Scary! I now use a nicely balanced face mill instead of a SuperFly.

Re: High Speed Spindles safety

Yep, I was hoping that Tormach would institute the max tool RPM in the tool tqble so that the machine would NOT spin up passed the declared RPM. IF you look in the CODE there is script in there to extract MaxRPM: from the tool description. BUt it does not seem that they do anything with it.
    (;-) TP