585,761 active members*
4,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > PlanetCNC > More decimal places for rotation in coordinate system required

Hybrid View

More decimal places for rotation in coordinate system required

Recently I experienced some problems when editing parameters for the coordinate system.

I use probe to measure the rotation of my part and I set the rotation with G10 L2 P#<_coordsys> R#<_measure_rot>

That's working as expected, but when I edit any parameter in coordinate system dialog, the rotation doesn't fit anymore and there is a noticeable difference than before.
    I found the decimal places of the rotation as the problem. It is limited to 3 decimal places in the dialog, and using the dialog to edit any parameter, the decimal places are cut after 3 decimal places which leads to a inaccuracy of a few millimeters on large parts.

So I recommend to increase decimal places for all rotation parameter at least to 6. Otherwise on large scale parts, the rotation is to coarse.

Re: More decimal places for rotation in coordinate system required

Like this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PlanetCNC32d_BXp83YISkg.png  

Looks great!

hy if this is not about rotary axis, but simply wcs rotation, then angle decimals ( regardless of how many they are ) will generate an increased error as radius also increases

methods to adress it :
    ... always max decimals for angle output; there will still be errors :
    ...... as axis travel increases, thus as working space surface increases, towards its edges will occur acuracy lost
    ...... if controller can not deal with max numbers of digits after comma ('.' separator), but only with max number of digits including coma and what is before coma, then there will apear error clases as follows :
    ......... < 1degrees
    ......... < 10degrees
    ......... < 100degrees
    ......... positive or negative, as '-' requires a char
    ... a 2nd method, as to fix above issues, if possible ( like if the controllor can take it ), implement also atan2

examples for method :
    ... 1 : 10.123456, 101.23456, -10.23456
    ... 2 : atan2 [ 15.123456 / 120.23456 ]

the format can be automatized, by computing the error in advance, and also knowing what the cnc can take; in other words, format to be toogled from post

on the other side, simply having to choose the number of decimals from a guy, may be enough, as long as there are too few demands for such tings / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

This was just user interface issue. Controller uses enough decimals.
    With 3 decimals shown, error at distance 1000mm is 0.01745 mm.
    With 6 decimals shown, error at distance 1000mm is 0.00002 mm.

Did you add the G10 L2 line into the Angle Measure script to automatically rotate your work coordinates? I am trying to figure out how to make the Angle Measure script automatically rotate my work coordinates, but I am completely ignorant when it comes to coding scripts.

Quote Originally Posted by mharter11 View Post
    Did you add the G10 L2 line into the Angle Measure script to automatically rotate your work coordinates? I am trying to figure out how to make the Angle Measure script automatically rotate my work coordinates, but I am completely ignorant when it comes to coding scripts.
    I have a script which can use a probe to automatically measure and rotate wcs.... I posted my machine profile somewhere in the forum where the scripts are integrated. There should be somewhere a textfile in the script folder which has a short description of each script. Also the simulation is fully functional and key x is to simulate contact of the probe. Good luck finding everything. Maybe i can also look for the script if i am at work next week.

Quote Originally Posted by awpross View Post
    I have a script which can use a probe to automatically measure and rotate wcs.... I posted my machine profile somewhere in the forum where the scripts are integrated. There should be somewhere a textfile in the script folder which has a short description of each script. Also the simulation is fully functional and key x is to simulate contact of the probe. Good luck finding everything. Maybe i can also look for the script if i am at work next week.
    I am also interested in this, thank you. I will try to find your post.

Edit: is this one?

Quote Originally Posted by adidoro View Post
    I am also interested in this, thank you. I will try to find your post.

Edit: is this one?
    Jup. That's it. I decided to make my CNC Profile open source... So you can find the current version here: https://github.com/styletronix/PlanetCNC_CNC1